M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cant Remove vSAN witness

Jump to solution

Hi community,

im having real trouble and been spending hours trying to delete vsan files from storage on a witness host when the vsan has been turned off and hosts are not in use anymore it just shows an error saying datastore in use but yet it isn't and I cant seem to clear the partition's as I want to use it as a witness host to a vsan flash config?

im trying to remove them in vcenter vsphere client I have also tried connecting directly to the host via the built in client but that fails also.

matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Matt,

"trying to delete vsan files from storage on a witness host when the vsan has been turned off and hosts are not in use anymore"

By 'files' do you mean you are trying to delete the vSAN partitions on the physical drives? (or vmdk if using Witness Appliance and not a physical box)

How did you disable vSAN on the cluster you are trying to decommission the Witness from? (e.g. did you disable vSAN at the CLI/UI an have you removed all nodes from the cluster Object in vSphere and deleted it)

"it just shows an error saying datastore in use but yet it isn't"

Were you by any chance using the vsanDatastore as location logging, coredumps, ISOs?

Service processes could be locking the disks - reboot the Witness and try it from Web Client/UI:

Host > Configure > Storage Devices > Select Device > All Actions > Remove partitions (The devices will have 2 vSAN FS partitions, make sure it is the right host and device!).

If it still won't allow it then you can boot the Witness and disable vSAN modules at boot then delete - try the above first though.

"as I want to use it as a witness host to a vsan flash config?"

If it is a Witness Appliance why don't you just deploy a new clean one for this other cluster?

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TheBobkin
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Matt,

"trying to delete vsan files from storage on a witness host when the vsan has been turned off and hosts are not in use anymore"

By 'files' do you mean you are trying to delete the vSAN partitions on the physical drives? (or vmdk if using Witness Appliance and not a physical box)

How did you disable vSAN on the cluster you are trying to decommission the Witness from? (e.g. did you disable vSAN at the CLI/UI an have you removed all nodes from the cluster Object in vSphere and deleted it)

"it just shows an error saying datastore in use but yet it isn't"

Were you by any chance using the vsanDatastore as location logging, coredumps, ISOs?

Service processes could be locking the disks - reboot the Witness and try it from Web Client/UI:

Host > Configure > Storage Devices > Select Device > All Actions > Remove partitions (The devices will have 2 vSAN FS partitions, make sure it is the right host and device!).

If it still won't allow it then you can boot the Witness and disable vSAN modules at boot then delete - try the above first though.

"as I want to use it as a witness host to a vsan flash config?"

If it is a Witness Appliance why don't you just deploy a new clean one for this other cluster?

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos