VMware Cloud Community
MichaelGi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can't locate vsan disk with predictive failure

Does anyone know how to locate a bad disk from a vsan perspective?  We have hp dl380 g9 servers and the disk is in predictive failure but I have no way of matching it up with a vsan disk.  Blinking the led is not supported on our p440 controller in JBOD mode so that's not an option.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
perthorn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Micheal,

This is a pretty annoying problem. The drive LED blinking isn't supported on the P840 and P440  storage controllers in HBA mode. I've heard from HP that they are working on a fix though, but am not sure when it will be released. There is also the "esxcli storage core device physical -d <naa nr>" command for ESXi 6, but I this doesn't work for me either and I assume it is using the same feature of the storage controller that does the LED blinking. I have a work around that I published here:

http://www.perthorn.com/vsan-operations-local-disk-identification/

This is a pretty ugly workaround but it does seem to work for me, try it out and also see if you can verify with ILO.

Cheers

Per

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
perthorn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Micheal,

This is a pretty annoying problem. The drive LED blinking isn't supported on the P840 and P440  storage controllers in HBA mode. I've heard from HP that they are working on a fix though, but am not sure when it will be released. There is also the "esxcli storage core device physical -d <naa nr>" command for ESXi 6, but I this doesn't work for me either and I assume it is using the same feature of the storage controller that does the LED blinking. I have a work around that I published here:

http://www.perthorn.com/vsan-operations-local-disk-identification/

This is a pretty ugly workaround but it does seem to work for me, try it out and also see if you can verify with ILO.

Cheers

Per

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You could use hpssacli to see the device in that state. Correlate that info with iLO...

/opt/hp/hpssacli/bin/hpssacli ctrl slot=0 pd all show status

0 Kudos
MichaelGi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.  This is a good workaround!

0 Kudos