VMware Cloud Community
JamesStreit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't clone or migrate from VSAN to SDRS pool

Hello,

I have a VM template that resides on a VSAN datastore.  In the same cluster I have an SDRS storage group that contains 4 NFS datastores.

Is there a reason why I can't clone/migrate my template from VSAN to and SDRS storage group?  It looks like a policy thing but I'm not sure.

Note:  The same template can be cloned and migrated to other datastores, just not the SDRS grouping.

Thanks

Jim Streit

0 Kudos
5 Replies
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

I thought vSAN did not work with SDRS.  My guess is that if you disabled SDRS temporarily, you could do the migration.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
JamesStreit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, you are correct, VSAN appears to have issues with SDRS.  Disabling SDRS just to clone, then re-enable is not a workable solution for us.  We have vRA / vRO automation workflows that are pointing to the SDRS group.  Currently we are keeping our templates on a regular NFS datastore and it will have to remain that way unless something changes with the policies in the future.

Just to clarify, the VSAN datastore is not part of the SDRS group.  The issue occurs when svMotion/migrate/clone between them.

0 Kudos
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

I am curious as to other opinions.  It seems like vSAN works best when it's on its own.  Once you introduce it to complex, heterogeneous environments; incompatibilities emerge.  Which is fine, I just wonder if vSAN is being implemented where it should not be.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
ramakrishnak
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, VSAN doesn't support SDRS

but your workflow should have worked. sounds like a bug to me. can you file an SR to get this further triaged...

Thanks,

JamesStreit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Rama, I would agree.

SR 15655607004 has been opened.

Thanks

0 Kudos