VMware Cloud Community
philzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Beta Update

While trying to update Beta VCSA to GA found that Beta & GA version is the same version number - 5.5.0.10000

VCSA update shows - No update is available

It doesn't compare build numbers only versions.

So, what i should do for this upgrade?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Upgrading from VSAN (or any other VMware product for that matter) beta to a GA release is not supported by VMware. See:

https://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsphere-esxi-55u1-release-notes.html

Test Releases of Virtual SAN

Upgrade of Virtual SAN cluster from Virtual SAN Beta to Virtual SAN 5.5 is not supported.

Disable Virtual SAN Beta, and perform fresh installation of Virtual SAN 5.5 for ESXi 5.5 Update 1 hosts. If you were testing Beta versions of Virtual SAN, VMware recommends that you recreate data that you want to preserve from those setups on vSphere 5.5 Update 1. For more information, see Retaining virtual machines of Virtual SAN Beta cluster when upgrading to vSphere 5.5 Update 1 (KB 2074147).

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
philzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Look, in this KB (VMware KB: Retaining virtual machines of Virtual SAN Beta cluster when upgrading to vSphere 5.5 Upda...) told that i could do this upgrade.

But in real life i couldn't. The only reason - same version number, but different build.

So i can change the version number in vcsa (i don't know how) or in update manifest, or i can use backup of embedded DB and vcsa install from scratch.

Surely i see possible workarounds.

I don't need any support, cause it's a lab environment.

But i need a simple solution for my client.  

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

When using the VCSA you will need to redeploy the VCSA as far as I know. Easiest method by far and most secure.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

ps: asked the GSS team to look in to this KB

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

philzy wrote:

While trying to update Beta VCSA to GA found that Beta & GA version is the same version number - 5.5.0.10000

VCSA update shows - No update is available

It doesn't compare build numbers only versions.

So, what i should do for this upgrade?

Just validated, only an upgrade from GA to GA is supported and not from Beta VCSA to GA. So you will need to rebuild unfortunately.

Duncan

-----------

Book out soon: Essential Virtual SAN: Administrator's Guide to VMware VSAN (VMware Press Technology)

0 Kudos
philzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok. Redeploy is not a problem. But I need to preserve configuration.

Is it possible via DB backup|restore or i can save only VDS settings?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Exporting and importing VDS is supported: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203460...

As far as I know, DB backup and restore is not for the purpose of an upgrade.

Duncan

Book out soon: Essential Virtual SAN: Administrator's Guide to VMware VSAN (VMware Press Technology)

0 Kudos
philzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do not upgrade working beta on Intel ICH-10. AHCI controller/driver doesn't work. Waiting for fix.

0 Kudos
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

a) upgrade for VSAN from beta to rtm is definitely *not* possible nor is it officially supported

b) AHCI was in the HCL during beta but was removed after the beta.

Best regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos