VeeJee
Contributor
Contributor

Backup WSFC with Shared Disk on vSAN

Jump to solution

WSFC with Shared Disk on vSAN, https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/74786. One of the unsupported features are snapshots. Applies this to the whole vm or only the shared disks? I am wondering how to backup a WSFC with shared disk on vSAN. If snapshots are not allowed for the whole vm. Is it possible to use e.g. Veeam agent for Windows to backup the WSFC as it was a physical cluster with shared disks?

If snapshots are only not allowed to the shared disks is it then possible to "snapshot"backup the vm except the shared disks? And is it possible/allowed to backup the shared disks with e.q. Veeam agent for WIndows?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello VeeJee​,

Welcome to Communities.

No, you cannot take snapshots at all - this is a caveat for WSFC in general and is not specific to vSAN:

VMware Knowledge Base

Yes, you can use agent-based backup I side the Guest OS - Veeam have some guides with further information on this if you have a search.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TheBobkin
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello VeeJee​,

Welcome to Communities.

No, you cannot take snapshots at all - this is a caveat for WSFC in general and is not specific to vSAN:

VMware Knowledge Base

Yes, you can use agent-based backup I side the Guest OS - Veeam have some guides with further information on this if you have a search.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
VeeJee
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bob,

So If I understand you well. I should treat the WSFC on vSAN as an physical failover cluster from backup perspective. I'm familair with backing up physical Windows failover clusters. This sounds as an interesting test for in my lab.

Thank you for the quick response.

Vincent

0 Kudos