VMware Cloud Community
Udayendu
Contributor
Contributor

An error occurred while starting service 'vsan-dps'

I have a VCSA appliance 6.7 with following version and build number.

Version: 6.7.0.46000
Build number: 17138064

Appliance is running well. But when I am trying to take the backup, its failing with the following message in the appliance's UI:

---

Invalid vCenter Server Status: All required services are not up! Stopped services: 'vsan-dps'.
---

When I tried to start the same service from the command like, I got the below error:

# service-control --start vsan-dps
Operation not cancellable. Please wait for it to finish...
Performing start operation on service vsan-dps...
Error executing start on service vsan-dps. Details {
    "componentKey": null,
    "detail": [
        {
            "args": [
                "vsan-dps"
            ],
            "translatable": "An error occurred while starting service '%(0)s'",
            "id": "install.ciscommon.service.failstart",
            "localized": "An error occurred while starting service 'vsan-dps'"
        }
    ],
    "problemId": null,
    "resolution": null
}
Service-control failed. Error: {
    "componentKey": null,
    "detail": [
        {
            "args": [
                "vsan-dps"
            ],
            "translatable": "An error occurred while starting service '%(0)s'",
            "id": "install.ciscommon.service.failstart",
            "localized": "An error occurred while starting service 'vsan-dps'"
        }
    ],
    "problemId": null,
    "resolution": null
}

I am not using vsan service in my platform. I have other vCenter 6.7 where this service is not running and my backup is not complaining about it. But on this particular vCenter I am getting this error.

I have already gone through Solved: vcenter VMware vSAN Data Protection Service vsan-d... - VMware Technology Network VMTN

But its not impacting me:

# find / -name spring-beans*
/opt/vmware/lib64/spring-beans-4.3.29.RELEASE.jar
/usr/lib/vmidentity/tools/lib/spring-beans-4.3.29.RELEASE.jar
/usr/lib/vmware-sso/vmware-sts/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/spring-beans-4.3.29.RELEASE.jar
/usr/lib/vmware-sca/lib/spring-beans-4.3.29.RELEASE.jar
/usr/lib/vmware-content-library/jars/spring-beans-4.3.29.RELEASE.jar
/usr/lib/vmware-vsphere-ui/server/work/Catalina/localhost/ROOT/eclipse/plugins/spring-beans-4.3.29.RELEASE.jar
/usr/lib/vmware-perfcharts/tc-instance/webapps/statsreport/WEB-INF/lib/spring-beans-4.3.29.RELEASE.jar
/usr/lib/vmware/common-jars/spring-beans-4.3.29.RELEASE.jar
/usr/lib/vmware/cis_upgrade_runner/payload/component-scripts/is/lib/spring-beans.jar

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @Udayendu,

Could you please try to start that service manually and at the same time open another session to gather the latest logs of vsan-dps service?

Even the service is discontinued maybe it can give you some insight. I know you went over that community post but have you also checked the JSON? I am asking this because your versions are different.

0 Kudos
Udayendu
Contributor
Contributor

@Lalegre 

Let me explain you the problem statement clearly.

We have 3 vCenter 6.7 deployed in linked mode. For all the vCenter appliance lebel backup has been configured. For vCenter 01 & 02 its working well but for this 3rd appliance the scheduled backup is not working. When I tried to start the backup manually, its complaining that 'vsan-dps' service is not running but in other two vCenter also this service is not running and we dont have any issue there.

And most importantly, we dont use vsan or data protection service. So why the backup service is expecting this service to be up and running, I have no idea.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @Udayendu,

Agree with you that vsan-dps should not be used and even for your information this service is discontinued so even if you have vSAN it will not be used. Definetely you are facing a bug and there is no much relevant information about it, so if you already followed the steps on the other article as you mentioned and checked the JSON, I recommend you to open a SR in parallel till waiting to see if somebody got this problem also.

0 Kudos
Udayendu
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have opened a SR. Let me see what VMware has to say on this.