VMware Cloud Community
Scrosswa
Contributor
Contributor

Advanced to Enterprise Licensing PAC Issues?

Hi guys,

An OEM provided us with some "Advanced to Enterprise" licenses for our ESXi hosts for stretched cluster purposes.

Four of our hosts are on the Advanced licenses, which was why the OEM sold us the licenses to upgrade ours to Enterprise version.

The problem is our OEM was not able to put the upgrade key (or PAC key) into VMware's portal - it keeps saying invalid. They couldn't fix the issue, they raised a ticket to VMware and everything is pretty much on hold.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue before, if so, what fixes or checks would you recommend?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
NateNateNAte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So it took me a minute to realize you were specifically talking about applying a vSAN license PAC to ESXi hosts.  Got it.  

I have only encountered that issue when upgrading from trial to full licenses in a lab environment. 

vSAN licenses are per core, and definitely vary per version lately. But a PAC shouldn't run into those issues.  It's possible that the vendor used the wrong PAC, or more likely an outdated set of codes.  VMware has gotten tighter about license keys ever since they killed off the 'engineering' licenses that used to be good for 90 days at a stretch.  That's where I ran into things, when that engineering (trial) license expired we had to work with the vendor to secure the correct PAC and get our lab gear fully licensed (because we were promoting a prototype into production as a solution).  

It sounds like you're stuck waiting on your OEM/vendor to resolve the issue, but if your purchase included any VMware 'pro' credits (if they still do that) it might be worth activating that to get a VMware engineer on your side to help address the issue outside of the normal ticket process.  

0 Kudos
mteplanSK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, did they fix your issue? I have exactly same problem.

0 Kudos
NateNateNAte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Good question. @Scrosswa , did you resolve this yet, or do you need more support?

0 Kudos
mteplanSK
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE/Broadcom fixed our issue and registered PAC licenses /took around 3 working days/, but not provided any explanation why we could not register PAC codes.

0 Kudos