VMware Cloud Community
taylan99
Contributor
Contributor

About vsan configuration

Good Morning ;

I have configured the VSAN with 3 physical servers. I created the disks of the VMs I created using default storage policy.

Will my VMs be affected in case of any corruption or error on the disks? What kind of action would I take if I was raid 5 or raid 1?

In short, what exactly is this logic? Could you give me an idea?

Best regards...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Greetings!

Will my VMs be affected in case of any corruption or error on the disks? What kind of action would I take if I was raid 5 or raid 1?

VMs will be protected based on the Storage Policy i.e. "Virtual SAN Default Storage Policy" in your case (assuming based on the info you provided).

In short, what exactly is this logic? Could you give me an idea?

You can read about the Virtual SAN Default Storage Policy here -

1) vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center

2) VSAN 6.0 Part 3 - New Default Datastore Policy - CormacHogan.com

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further queries after reading above documents.

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question as "Correct" or "Helpful" when you get the appropriate answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

Cheers!

Shivam

0 Kudos
virtualDD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I think you missed something in regards to vSAN. You cannot do RAID 5 with only 3 hosts.. but that's not the point. vSAN is a object-based storage and does not do any traditional RAID mirrors.

When you have FTT (Faults to tolerate) = 1 in your default storage policy each object will be redundant. (kind of like a RAID 1)

So assuming one of your disks in one of your hosts becomes "corrupted" (e.g. unreadable, otherwise broken) the diskgroup of this host will automatically be set to unhealthy and not participate in the cluster anymore until it is fixed.

But the object will still be available on one of the remaining two hosts.

And yeah, read up on the storage policies that have been linked already. understanding storage policies is key to understanding vsan because among other things you will configure your "raid" in the storage policy.

0 Kudos