VMware Cloud Community
Escape2here
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

About VSAN architecture in production environment

Hi guys.

which is the best  VSAN architecture for a production environment?

Is all in one cluster VSAN witch storage and VM on the same cluster/node or have 2 cluster one for cluster VSAN and another with a virtual machine only that store a virtual disk on the cluster VSAN?

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If I understand the question correctly, then you do not have a choice with the current versions of VSAN.

In order to access the VSAN datastore, the VM must be deployed on an ESXi host that is part of the VSAN cluster.

The VSAN datastore cannot be exported externally to ESXi hosts that are not participating in the VSAN cluster.

HTH

Cormac

http://cormachogan.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If I understand the question correctly, then you do not have a choice with the current versions of VSAN.

In order to access the VSAN datastore, the VM must be deployed on an ESXi host that is part of the VSAN cluster.

The VSAN datastore cannot be exported externally to ESXi hosts that are not participating in the VSAN cluster.

HTH

Cormac

http://cormachogan.com
0 Kudos
Escape2here
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AnatolyVilchins
Jump to solution

Yeah, that`s a known issue of VMware VSAN. Not too convenient in my opinion.

BTW, maybe you have resources to check outher solutions?

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
zdickinson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good afternoon, in a cluster you could have hosts that do not contribute storage to vSAN.  You could have 5 hosts in a cluster, with only 3 contributing storage.  I believe this is against best practices according the great book by Cormac and Duncan.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
MaxCraft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

+1 to Cormac's reply.

I'd add that vSAN is hyper-converged, so the ESXi hosts are all acting as both storage and hypervisor cluster.

And you also need to license all the hosts participating in that cluster.

If you need a solution which can also share the storage to outside world (e.g other vSphere clusters) I'd look at StoreVirtual or SanSypmhonyV.

zdickinson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good morning, there are several third party products that can serve up vSAN to for external needs.  A closer look at Nexenta Connect for VSAN - CormacHogan.com  For example.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos