VMware Cloud Community
Paul_Sheard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

6 host VSAN Cluster - I want to change the VSAN vmkernel IP's

Hi,

as the title says, I have 6 host VSAN 6.2 cluster (with some VM's on the VSAN datastore, powered off right now). What is the best method of changing the VSAN vmkernel IP addresses, without any data loss..

Has anyone done this type of thing? The last octet will just slightly change to lower numbers..  no VLAN / subnet changes etc.. I'll just edit the VSAN vmkernel and change the last octet..

Cheers

Paul.

Paul Sheard VMware Consultant (Contract) VCP6 DCV NV CMA DTM
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
elerium
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have re-IPed hosts and their corresponding VSAN vmk IP address in maintenance mode as you're describing. With everything in maintenance mode, you can just go in and change it. I dont think there is any danger of data loss. If you make a mistake and boot everything up, it would detect split network partitions or any other network issues through the health check and you would have a nonfunctional datastore until you correct any network problems.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
elerium
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have re-IPed hosts and their corresponding VSAN vmk IP address in maintenance mode as you're describing. With everything in maintenance mode, you can just go in and change it. I dont think there is any danger of data loss. If you make a mistake and boot everything up, it would detect split network partitions or any other network issues through the health check and you would have a nonfunctional datastore until you correct any network problems.

0 Kudos
elerium
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

After the re-IP make sure your cluster passes the health check before taking it out of maintenance mode  and you should be good to go

0 Kudos
Paul_Sheard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You sir are a gentleman, thank you for putting my mind at rest. All went fine, not a problem.

Cheers

Paul.

Paul Sheard VMware Consultant (Contract) VCP6 DCV NV CMA DTM