VMware Cloud Community
mutthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2-Node ROBO ip change

I have a 2-Node ROBO vSAN cluster which is managed by a vcenter from HQ. The vcenter and the Witness appliance are based on HQ, and the two ESXi nodes are in the remote office. The 2-nodes vSAN vmkernel ports(vmk2 and vmk3) are connected with a back-to-back SFP cable that is not going through a switch.

The vsan witness traffic from the nodes travel via the management vmkernel(vmk0) that the initial configuration is done via a cli as below for traffic separation.

#esxcli vsan network ipv4 add -i vmk0 -T=witness

Everything works fine, and we will move the remote office; as a result, the IP has to be changed on the ESXi hosts's management . The good part is that we do not need to change the IP of the witness and the VSAN. We only need to change the management IP for those two nodes as well as vMotion.

Changing the management of IP is not an issue in a typical cluster since all work with DNS, and I have done it before.

My concern with management IP because of the vSAN . Can I just change the IP like the one we did it a typical VMware cluster?

I would appreciate it if you could shed light on this.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@mutthu "Can I just change the IP like the one we did it a typical VMware cluster?"

Yes, but do this one node at a time (and validate all is fine after 1st one is done), ensure the node is in Maintenance Mode and that the new IP has access to the Witness  (as presumably you are using vmk0 for both Witness and Management traffic).

0 Kudos
mutthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the reply, I plan to do the below methods, and I hope you will check whether I am following the best practice.

1. Power down all VMs

2. Disabled HA.

3.#esxcfg-advcfg -s 1 /VSAN/IgnoreClusterMemberListUpdates  on all Esxi hosts including the witness

4#python /usr/lib/vmware/vsan/bin/reboot_helper.py prepare   -do this in one node.

5. #esxcli system maintenanceMode set -e true -m noAction

I can change the IP at this stage before power down but will not be able to ping to witness /vcenter. I would instead power down, start the ESXi host at the new location and change the management IPs. vmkping all kernel ports before reversing the above procedures.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello @mutthu, Yes your planned steps appear fine.