VMware Cloud Community
Gr4cchus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

2 Disk vSAN

I am experimenting and trying to create the bare minimum for a disk group in 1 node. I followed the wizard and added a cache and capacity drive. But when i tried to create a folder or make a hard drive for a vm it gave an error message and prevented it. Not sure what the issue is. Maybe I have to edit a certain storage policy to allow the vSAN disk group to run off just off one node?

-------------------Update-------------------

The problem of creating the folder from the vSphere client in the vSAN datastore is the result of the 'New Folder' not calling the right utility(ESXI 6.7). Shell into the node of the vSAN datastore. There should be a symlink to use to help identify and take you into the datastore then run:

/usr/lib/vmware/osfs/bin/osfs-mkdir YourNewFolderHere

Heres the KB. VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------Solution-------------------

Menu>Policies and Profiles> VM Storage Policies

(Might want to clone vSAN storage policy for a backup?)Edit vSAN Default Storage Policy> next> set Failtures to tolerate to zero and save.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

Error message: Cannot complete file creation operation.

There are currently 1 usable disks for the operation. This operation requires 1 more usable disks.

Remaining 0 disks not usuable because:

0 - Insufficient space for data/cache reservation.

0 - Maintenance mode or unhealthy disks.

0 - Disk-version, storage-type or encryption-type mismatch.

0 - Max component count reached.

0 - In unusable fault-domains due to policy constraints.

0 - In witness node.

Failed to create object.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Gr4cchus​,

The only usable Storage Policy would be FTT=0,Stripe-Width=1 - the only applicable Storage Policy for the error you are seeing would be FTT=0,Stripe-Width=2 OR creating an Object larger than the capacity available on the single capacity-tier device.

Did you try using osfs-mkdir to create a namespace via the CLI?

I ask as this is FTT=0 by default and works without issue on a single isolated node with a Disk-Group of single cache-tier + capacity-tier disk attached.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Only a guess. Check the policy, and ensure that it 's configured so that objects do not require multiple disks.

André

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Gr4cchus​,

The only usable Storage Policy would be FTT=0,Stripe-Width=1 - the only applicable Storage Policy for the error you are seeing would be FTT=0,Stripe-Width=2 OR creating an Object larger than the capacity available on the single capacity-tier device.

Did you try using osfs-mkdir to create a namespace via the CLI?

I ask as this is FTT=0 by default and works without issue on a single isolated node with a Disk-Group of single cache-tier + capacity-tier disk attached.

Bob

0 Kudos
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

you may find this article useful it covers many of the steps you need to bootstrap VC on a one node vSAN

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/09/how-to-bootstrap-vcenter-server-onto_9.html

0 Kudos
Gr4cchus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This roughly solved the issue. FTT needed to be set to zero.

0 Kudos