VMware Cloud Community
BrettK1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA 7.6 to 8.2 Migration and Environments

I have a current vRSCLM environment that has an imported vRA 7.6 installation.

In preparing to migrate to 8.2, I see you cannot install 8.2 into the same environment that 7.6 exists in.

What is the best method for the migration?

Should one:

a) Create a new Environment, install 8.2 to the new environment, migrate from 7.6 to 8.2, remove both vRAs from their environments, and import 8.2?

b) Remove 7.6 from the current environemnt, create a new environment to import 7.6 into, install 8.2 to the existing environment, migrate 7.6 to 8.2?

c) Something else entirely?

Thanks for the input.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My idea would be something like (probably not complete):

install new vRLCM + vIDM + vRA from the easy installer
create a new (temp) cname for the new vRA8
import vRA 7.6 (if needed?)
migrate vIDM
migrate vRO
migrate vRA (yeah, migrate and rebuild)

switch the old vRA cname to the new vRA
Then just decom vRA 7.6 and the temp cname
or keep using the new cname and decom the old cname.

0 Kudos
BrettK1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is a brand new installation of vRSLCM (with new install of vIDM, and imported Log Insight and vROPS), which was created for the purpose of migrating to vRA 8.2, so installing another instance for the same purpose seems off.

Importing vRA 7.6 is a prerequisite to migration:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/8.2/vrealize-automation-transition/GUID-4938AB6D-1D34...

Some of the pages imply that there will be 'separate environments', but then again, some pages use the word 'environment' to mean different things (though maybe that's 'environment (small e)' vs 'Environment (capital E)').

Possibly there is no functional difference between the methods I listed, just a matter of 'how do you want to shuffle things around'?

0 Kudos
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My simple approach is:

1. Create the globalenvironment

2. Import vRA 7.6 in it's own environment

3. Deploy vRA 8.x in it's own environment

I don't see any reason why both must exist in one same environment (because you must migrate from vRA76 to vRA8x).

0 Kudos
BrettK1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, so far I've just broken 7.6 out into its own environment, and installed 8.3 in the existing environment.
The (only slightly) annoying issue here is that vRSLCM doesn't think there's a vROPS connected to vRA 7.6 because 'it's in a different environment', which is a temporary annoyance during the migration, but eventually will just disappear.

0 Kudos