VMware Cloud Community
TimDScott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA 8.3 Availabilty

Does anyone know if there is there a release date for v8.3 yet?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
KBragdon20
Contributor
Contributor

I have been waiting on this same thing. I was told during VMwolrd eta was Mid December.... Its February with nothing.

TimDScott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got excited when I got a notification that I'd had a reply on this thread, I guess it'll arrive when they're ready....

0 Kudos
BrettK1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since you're both looking forward to this, can I ask what changes are you aware of from 8.2 to 8.3?

I'm prepping for a migration from 7.6 to 8.2, but have a ton of questions when it comes to the 'Migration Limitations' and wondering if I should jump fully into trying to get those questions answered now, or if there will be changes to this process in 8.3?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@BrettK1: I would suggest to start getting those questions answered "now", since it's not very likely that all your questions will be answered with 8.3.

We are also "struggling" with all those things that we cannot simply migrate because either those things have changed too much in vRA 8.x or they simply don't exist anymore.  Some of those might become available in some future release but most will need a rewrite. At this moment we are working on how to get things over to vRA 8.2p3, everything that becomes better in 8.3 (or later) is just extra.

0 Kudos
TimDScott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm waiting for a specific piece of functionality, in relation to custom resource actions. Basically allowing the selected vSphere VM to be sent as a parameter to actions that populate dropdowns on the input form. Pretty basic stuff and promised for 8.3 😀

jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@TimDScott  have you checked for that in vRA Cloud? Most things become available in vRA Cloud just before they reach vRA on-prem.

We are looking for things like (a working replacement for) the day-2 actions SSH/RDP, and the Change Owner.

KBragdon20
Contributor
Contributor

Other than what was previously mentioned.
At VMworld they (PS) indicated that 8.3 was slated for a mid-December release (which obviously didnt happen).

We are specifically looking for support for Custom Forms, better XaaS support, custom Approvals (which is a big deal for us), and better functionality/translation to migrate from 7.6.

We currently have a LOT of custom scripting (VRO workflows) and XaaS workflows. When we run the assessment it is indicating that a lot of our stuff will not migrate, which plain sucks. So either we have to re-write about 1/3 of our library (which is about 400 workflows/blueprints) or wait for better support.
XaaS/Approvals/Custom Forms are the primary culprit for us (they are all linked together). And again, at VMWorld, I was told during the panel that the specific functionality we were looking for would be in 8.3. It already exists in Cloud version (for those that were going to ask)

BrettK1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have a VERY basic implementation of vRA 7.6, and there's still a lot of things that I can't believe aren't there...

No 'Change Owner'?  Without that, I believe 8.2 is useless for us.  I need to read more about User Roles in 8.2, because we have a business group that uses 'Users' (i.e. can only see VMs they own), and a different business group that uses 'Shared Users' (i.e. everyone is a user on all VMs in the business group).  Neither business group can work any other way...  (edit - I guess this is now a property of the Project itself, so I guess it's good there isn't a mix of 'shared' and 'private' deployments).    Anyway, without being able to change the Owner, not sure if this is relevant.
No ''VirtualMachine.Software%.ScriptPath'' custom property.  I'll need to read up on replacing that.  We don't have any custom vRO scripting at all, and only have a few very basic scripts for setting accounts/passwords/etc on VMs, using the ScriptPath custom property...

Anyway, there's a ton of other questions, and this is for a vRA implementation with no custom vRA scripts and less than 10 blueprints (which could be consolidated even more with proper knowledge to do so).

Given the issues missing from your implementations as well, I feel 8.2 is still just '8 Beta'?

0 Kudos
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OCVUWR9t-I

It hints about vRA 8.3 and refers to a page that does not contain 8.3 yet...

0 Kudos
AnthonyDa
Contributor
Contributor

VCD integration is on the roadmap but for now we do not have any ETA 

No VCD integration for this release ...

0 Kudos
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm soo happy with some additions.

Day2 Connect to remote console.
Change owner (also during onboarding etc).
More support for disk related stuff (need to figure out).
Better multi-tenancy
AD per blueprint
Custom form enhancement on the value picker

There are many others, but specifically the first 2 (remote console and owner) were amongst our showstoppers.

0 Kudos
BrettK1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I guess a relevant follow up question - when will this be available through Lifecycle Manager My VMWare binary downloads - what's the usual lag time from release to inclusion?

I could download and manually add it, but as Lifecycle Manager exists for the sole purpose of simplifying these things, I'd like to use it for that purpose 🙂

0 Kudos