VMware Cloud Community
redsand007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRA 7.4 - vIDM GroupName Search Threshold

Current workflow I have automates the vIDM directory Sync within vRA.  Everything is working fine, however, there seems to be a directory group limitation when making the following API POST call.

https://<vidmEndPoint>/SAAS/jersey/manager/api/connectormanagement/directoryconfigs/<directoryID>/directorygroups/?groupName=ABC

The error received is the following:

"message""The number of groups found exceeds the threshold of 1000.  Refine your search to select fewer groups at one time."

I was wondering is there a way to filter on the groupName so it does not reach the threshold.  Yes the number of groups does exceed this limit, but checking to see if there is a way to filter using ne, contains, etc. 
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
redsand007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was able to solve this 1,000 vIDM group search limit by using a self created type of pagination within our automation workflow.  Our automation was using the api to make this search using a base search string. For example, base search string causing threshold error limit was vmw (returned more than 1,000 groups).  I broke it down by making individual api calls searching in the following fashion - vmwa, vmwb, vmwc, etc...  Each call returns a json string and I basically added each return string to a master json file that was passed along downstream.  Not the greatest solution, but worked out in my situation.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
redsand007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was able to solve this 1,000 vIDM group search limit by using a self created type of pagination within our automation workflow.  Our automation was using the api to make this search using a base search string. For example, base search string causing threshold error limit was vmw (returned more than 1,000 groups).  I broke it down by making individual api calls searching in the following fashion - vmwa, vmwb, vmwc, etc...  Each call returns a json string and I basically added each return string to a master json file that was passed along downstream.  Not the greatest solution, but worked out in my situation.