VMware Cloud Community
geekinlinux
Contributor
Contributor

what is the purpose of vCloud Director exactly

hi all,

i working on vmware virtualization for an year and half now, i want to plan learning vCloud, when i was watching videos, i came to know that it is like creating virtual datacenters for the vms created in vShpere or vCenter. My doubt is when we can create separate datacenters in vCenter itself then what is the use of vCloud Director Of course i saw lots of features of it, but what is the actual purpose of creating datacenters again from the vms of vcenter.

Please explain any one in simple i'll start working on it.

thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

If we were to think about this in terms of a workplace environment, ESXi hosts are your entry level employees.  They support your most common workload, which performing some sort of task (running VMs).

vCenter is their direct Manager.  Your manager needs to know what you are doing, and knows a lot about you.  They know exactly what work you are doing, where you are located, and maintain your HR file (think all of the very specific ESXi settings), and monitors your performance.

vCloud Director is like a Sr. Manager.  They don't really need to know all the nitty gritty details of the employees below them, but know a high level overview of what's happening in the grand scheme of things.  They also give general direction as to resource allocation between divisions of the company, know only the essential configurations required for completing tasks, and know how to delegate the tasks to the Managers below them.

Once you have ESXi and vCenter setup, vCloud Director is like taking away all the insignificant details and helps to manage things (like IP allocations, isolating networks) and delegating Compute Resources to difference sections of your company.  vCloud Director also presents this data in a way that should be easier to consume than what vCenter would do, since it's a simpler web based interface that non-IT people should be able to use.

0 Kudos
kaarthickvasude
Contributor
Contributor

Vcloud Director is Centralized Administrator of VCenter .All the VCenter is enter into the Vcloud director and maintain through Webpage.

Only we require Internet to support VCenter.

Cell ->Once we install the Vcloud director we can get two ip addresses.

One ip address is primary and another one is secondary ip address

0 Kudos