VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vxlan lan across different dc

Can i create a vxlan across different datacenters or does it have to be the same datacenter and different clusters?

I have 3 datacenters with all different vlans on each. I am wondering if I can migrate a vm same from dc1 to dc2 and keep the same ip address using vxlan

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbudavari
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

VXLAN Network Scopes are within a Datacenter (as you perform VXLAN preparation at the Datacenter level), so it isn't possible to span a virtual wire across DCs. vWires can span across different clusters within a DC however.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rbudavari
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

VXLAN Network Scopes are within a Datacenter (as you perform VXLAN preparation at the Datacenter level), so it isn't possible to span a virtual wire across DCs. vWires can span across different clusters within a DC however.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am trying to find the use of vxlans in a private cloud environment. If I have a dc with 2 clusters, and both are connected to the same switches that has the same vlans defined, is there a need to vxlans?

thanks

0 Kudos
rbudavari
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

You don't 'need' to use VXLAN in this case if you already have Layer 2 connectivity across the clusters, but there are a number of other benefits to VXLAN such as scalability (providing isolated networks without consuming VLANs which may be limited) and automation via APIs in addition to being able to provide Layer 2 connectivity across a Layer 3 transport network, eg if you didn't have the same VLANs defined across both clusters.

0 Kudos