VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

vxlan config

I completed my install of vcd 5.1. I have vshield installed as well and I have attached my vcenter to vcd.

my vcenter has multiple clusters and I have only installed the vcloud agent on one cluster in one datacenter

my next step is to configure vxlan. can i confgure vxlan across multiple datacenters or does it have to be the same datacenter but different cluster?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

VXLAN is prepared across a specific datacenter ... if you want to stretch the VXLAN isolation across multiple, it's possible: Scalable Cloud Networking with Cisco Nexus 1000V Series Switches

I'm not sure if you need to have a Nexus or comparable network hardware ... it was just one example.

also, when you say datacenter, do you mean different physical locations ... or same location ... just a different 'datacenter' in vCenter?

0 Kudos
barnette08
Expert
Expert

From my understanding you can have communication across clusters within the same vcenter but right now it is not supported to span a vxlan across different vcenters.  I believe the second blog post link below touches on that.  Hope they help.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMware-VXLAN-Deployment-Guide.pdf

VXLAN basics and use cases (when / when not to use it)

0 Kudos