VMware Cloud Community
joshuafchen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vshield edge Nic

Hi Everyone

I installed VSphere 5.5, VCloud 5.5 and VShield 5.5 to have a test. Everything looks alright. But when I create an organization VDC and add a EDGE gateway for it, the system automatic create a VSE virtual machine under "System vDC“ . The VM contains multiply NICs, two of which it uses for external network and organization network. But it still has severals which connect to a standard switch named "None".

Though it works well, the problem is I can't migrate it or make its host to maintenance mode. When migrated, it shows" Network interface adapter 2 uses network 'none', which is not accessible."

Does anyone know something about it?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This should be a non-issue. 

Each vShield Edge device has 10 NIC Cards.  One will be attached to a given network (one external, one internal). 

The 'None' network means no port groups assigned.  This should not block vMotion from happening, and I have personally done

Even though you get a /!\ warning message, you should still be able to click next and complete the vMotion.

The only way you'd be blocked from vMotion is if either of the two actual networks were somehow tied to a specific host.

Can you provide a screen capture of this with the next button grayed out, and anything that isn't a warning for the network none?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This should be a non-issue. 

Each vShield Edge device has 10 NIC Cards.  One will be attached to a given network (one external, one internal). 

The 'None' network means no port groups assigned.  This should not block vMotion from happening, and I have personally done

Even though you get a /!\ warning message, you should still be able to click next and complete the vMotion.

The only way you'd be blocked from vMotion is if either of the two actual networks were somehow tied to a specific host.

Can you provide a screen capture of this with the next button grayed out, and anything that isn't a warning for the network none?

0 Kudos
joshuafchen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great! you are right, Lam. I notice that though the warning message, I still can migrate. The only issue is when I put the host into maintenance, I have to manually migrate vse vm before. It wouldn't auto-migrate in maintenance process.I guess maybe the warning prevent it whatever.

0 Kudos
joshuafchen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There are some differences between VCD 1.5 and 5.5 as I remember version 1.5 has no such "none: network.

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VSE should auto migrate when host is put into maintenance mode. The only case I've seen where it doesn't automatically migrate is if you have a gateway with HA enabled and there's only one host available that's not in (or entering) maintenance mode. In this case, you can manually migrate it, or you can disable the DRS anti-affinity rules and then re-enable them when you're done

0 Kudos
yangjie8366
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I meet this issue recently, I do not know what is the function of the vss NONE, I ever doubt the NONE switch cause the issue of VXLAN,  Thanks for you kindly replay.This really help me.

0 Kudos