VMware Cloud Community
jx
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere resources do not appear in vCloud

Hello experts,

I installed vSphere and VCSD as well. Now I added the vCenter to VCSD. The VC registration process is successful, but none of the vSphere resources are listed on vCloud console. I have 3 ESX machines, a cluster and a resource pool on vSphere. If I go to "Manage and Monitor"->"vSphere Resources"->"Hosts" the list is empty! Same for "Resource Pools". The only thing appearing is the VM Network under Switches and Ports->Port Groups.

Any idea why ? How do I troubleshoot it ?

Thanks

~j

0 Kudos
4 Replies
guitzer
Contributor
Contributor

I will be Out Of Office by today, returning by tomorrow.

Regards

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The best thing to do is look at the $VCLOUD_HOME/logs/vcloud-container-debug.log file (on the VCD machine) and see if there were any errors.

0 Kudos
jx
Contributor
Contributor

Hello there!

I figured it. It was simpler than that. I forgot the fact that the hosts and resources will not appear in the vCloud until I create a provider VDC. I have done things many times before but (bad day!) I forgot the steps Smiley Happy. Anyway.. once the PVDC is created hosts are resources are listed and thinsgare working fine.

By the way, out of curiosity, is there a reason why adding vCenter and adding hosts/resource pool on the vcenter has to be two seperate steps? IMHO combaining those makes lot of sense !

Thanks.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

it is a seperate step as you might want to add a Provider vDC after connecting a vCenter Server.

Duncan (VCDX)

Available now on Amazon: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical deepdive

0 Kudos