VMware Cloud Community
virtualportal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vShield Edge Error when creating routed external Organization Network

I am running vcloud Director and am attempting to create a network for an Organization. The vShield Edge appliance is deployed automatically to my pVDC and gets to the powered on state. It then sits for ages and I am seeing the error messages below. THe error from the VSM log just keeps looping around until eventually it times out and i get the vCD error.

VCD ERROR

-

Error CreatingShieldnetwork appliance.

- vCloud-Shield edge error: Creating/Configuring the VR failed: vsmHandle.initializeEdge() net:317656534/network-6873 vse:vm-6942 VM IPX.X.X.X failed.

- HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request

Code : 70902, Description : Insufficient permissions to user on host.

vShield Manager Log Errors

-

localhost VSE_VIX_CLIENT: : Debug-Logs :: Executed function :: connect_to_esx(hostname, password, dport, &hostHandle)

localhost VSE_VIX_CLIENT: : Debug-Logs :: About to call function :: open_edge_vmx(hostHandle, &edgeHandle, edge_vm_url)

localhost VSE_VIX_CLIENT: : Debug-Logs :: About to open_edge_vmx : 0x210003e

localhost VSE_VIX_CLIENT: : Vix-Error: 3014 :: (null)

localhost VSE_VIX_CLIEN: : Error while connecting to Edge: host Handle 0x210003e

vShield Edge, App and Endpoint are all licensed and this was working and then just decided to give up on me.

I have also tried the following:

- Delete and re-install vShield Manager appliance (same issue)

- Remove all Config in vCD, delete VSM Server, Remove Licenses and License Assets from vCenter, and then re-deploy VSM OVF and then start from step 1 on vCD homepage to attach new VC and vShield Manager.

After even doing this I have still got the same error.

Any help from any vCloud/vShield experts out ther would be much appreciated Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance

Steve

0 Kudos
5 Replies
baskam
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, try to disable, unprepare and then prepare again the host on which the VA is being deployed.

Baska Walsh

Logicworks

0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

also make sure you understand what happnes to ORG network if this VSE VM fails, aka: try to find a way to backup this VSE with another VSE (maybe something like VRRP for your default-GW ? not sure if it is available here ...)

0 Kudos
virtualportal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi guys.

I managed to fix this issue. It was a permissions issue.

The vCloud user that connected to Virtual center was using a custom made role that was nearly administrator privileges. When we upgrade vCenter from 4.0 to 4.1 some new option were added to the roles.As the role was custom made these were not automatically selecte.

It seems as though vCloud requires some of these new permissions to configure the VSE's that it creates.

Steve.

0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

i love it that the role-based admin control in vcenter works ! i think this part came a long way in vcenter ...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

BTW - I also ran into this error message, but my resolution was to enter a vShield Edge License in vCenter.

0 Kudos