VMware Cloud Community
nicolamoresi201
Contributor
Contributor

vShield 5.0 to 5.1 cant redeploy vShield Edge for upgrading them

When we try to Redeploy the Edge Appliance i the vCloud director section we get an error.

On the Container Debug we get:

vShield Edge not installed for given networkID. Cannot proceed with the operation

As found on some forums we try to re register vShield in vCD under the vCenter with reentering username and password but the error still there.

Many thanks for your support

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimLawrence
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you mean when you right click and select "Reset Network"? Is it a Routed network with NAT & Firewall enabled? If not then it may not have a vShield device and this message is normal.

Thanks

Tim

0 Kudos
nicolamoresi201
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

thanks for the reply.

Ad the end of the Upgrading manual of VMware vCD 5.1, after the complete upgrade of all vCenter, ESXi, vShield Manager, they wrote to right click the Edge and click "Re-Deploy".

After this on the debug container we see the message.

Creating a new Network in vCD works perfect. even when we right click Re-Deploy the new Edge it works.

The problem is only on the Edge that were create with the 1.5.1 and need to be upgrade to the 5.1

Many thanks

0 Kudos
TimLawrence
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, I didnt notice this was for 5.1. I'm not familiar with the release well enough to help you yet sorry. Hopefully someone else can.

Tim

0 Kudos
shepherdz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'd recommend filing a support request (SR) for this issue.

Zach Shepherd, Member of Technical Staff, VMware vCloud Director Engineering
0 Kudos
vogtmatt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DId this ever get resolved? Did you have to submit an SR? If so, how did VMware fix it? Many thanks.

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert

I have seen this error before during a test upgrade - we got it by doing the upgrade a little incorrect -- and it took support to help fix.

Here is what we did wrong, hope you don't have the same issue because at the time it was not an easy fix.

During the upgrade of vShield Manager vCloud must be up and running and watching the vShield and vCenters - if vShield manager was upgrade before vCloud was complete it will be broke.  (Basically vcloud has to watch the vshield manager upgrade happen to get the instance id's correct)

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
vogtmatt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just fixed it this morning, but my process was a bit different. Well, quite different Smiley Happy

I rolled back to the snapshot I took of vShield Manager (was on 5.0.1) after vCloud Director upgrade, before vShield upgrade. I then went through the steps again in this VMware KB: Upgrading to vCloud Networking and Security 5.1.2a best practices with a couple differences. Even though I had enough space, I ran the VMware-vShield-Manager-upgrade-bundle-maintenance-5.0-939118.tar.gz bundle anyway. After that finished, I ran the VMware-vShield-Manager-upgrade-bundle-5.1.2-943471.tar.gz bundle upgrade.

Before I did the backup, restore, maintenance bundle upgrade, I went through and did an upgrade of each edge gateway (under the Edges dropdown). Then, I installed the VMware-vShield-Manager-upgrade-bundle-maintenance-5.1.2-997359.tar.gz bundle. After that was all booted back up and stable, I stopped vCloud Director, took a backup of the vSM, deployed the new vSM OVF, installed the VMware-vShield-Manager-upgrade-bundle-maintenance-5.1.2-997359.tar.gz bundle to that, restored the backup, re-registered vSM with vCenter, started vCD, re-registered vCD with vSM. And now we're fully functional again.

0 Kudos