VMware Cloud Community
klaaslauwers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCloud director - Windows Key disappears

When deploying a virtual machine through vCenter, we can attach a Windows Key to a virtual machine and we see that the virtual machine is effectively attached to that key. In vCloud director,  however, this can’t be done. When we deploy the virtual machine, the  key gets destroyed somewhere in between. Can this be done in any way?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Could you elaborate the issue with additional details? How are you setting this "Windows Key" and where? Could you provide screenshots and/or steps?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I think that vCloud Director's Guest Customization is very different than the vCenter Customization Specification.  A lot of vCD is automated, and you may have to add a post customization script for adding your Windows key.  Unfortunately, this may expose the information in the process.

I wonder if this may depend on how the Sysprep is being called, maybe with -reseal or something similar.

I've used Windows Guests in vCD with customization, but they've been on a Key Management Server for the license management.

If you want to see the exact sysprep command used, then you can look at the customize-guest.log.

Best Regards,

Jon Hemming

0 Kudos
klaaslauwers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for responding,

I solved the problem by using the vCloud API, namely in the GuestCustomization part I was able to set the Windows key through the slmgr command.

Regards,

Klaas

0 Kudos