VMware Cloud Community
ManivelR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vCloud director 9.1 new installation for production

Hi Guys,

I'm a beginner of this vCloud director 9.1

What are all the requirements of new vCloud director installation.

1) New VM with RHEL or Centos(to install DB like SQL,Oracle or Postgress DB).

2) New linux VM for vCloud director bundle installation & NSX bundle installation.

Am i right? only 2 Linux VMs are ok to proceed ?

As part of vCloud director installation,there is no vShield manager or vCNS are required now ?

Please confirm.

Could you please give me the good article with all the steps to install all of these?

Thank you,

Manivel R

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paluszekd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Manivel,

NSX Edge Services will be completely separate from your second CentOS VM. You will need to download the NSX Manager bits from VMware Downloads and deploy that OVF. From there, register it to your PSC and vCenter. Once that is complete, during the installation and setup of vCD, it will prompt you for the NSX particulars, including the FQDN of the Manager.

Thanks,

-Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
paluszekd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Manivel -

Graham does a great job with a step by step guide of setting up vCD 9.x - Building the Cloud with vCloud Director 9.0 – A-Z – VirtualG.uk

I suggest using Postgres. You will need Cassandra for metrics too, here's a guide by Anthony Spiteri - https://anthonyspiteri.net/configuring-cassandra-for-vcloud-director-9-0-metrics/

If this is a lab environment, one could install this all on a single Linux VM. However, for production state, I suggest splitting these apart and utilizing multiple cells (vCD), nodes (Cassandra), and HA or clustering (Postgres).

Hope this helps!

-Daniel

0 Kudos
ManivelR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks so much.

I'm going to propose this setup.

Centos-->First VM--->Postgress DB

Centos-->Second VM-->vCloud director & NSX edge services.

Is this fine?

Thanks,

Manivel R

0 Kudos
paluszekd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Manivel,

NSX Edge Services will be completely separate from your second CentOS VM. You will need to download the NSX Manager bits from VMware Downloads and deploy that OVF. From there, register it to your PSC and vCenter. Once that is complete, during the installation and setup of vCD, it will prompt you for the NSX particulars, including the FQDN of the Manager.

Thanks,

-Daniel

0 Kudos
ManivelR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks so much Daniel.You helped me a lot.

I successfully installed vCloud director.

Created 2 Centos 7.0 Version VMs.

1st Centos-->Installed postgress DB for vCloud director.

2nd Centos-->Installed vCloud director software.

Downloaded and installed the NSX manager OVA and the same has been integrated with vCenter server.

I successfully logging in to vCloud director cloud as an administrator and attached vCenter/esxi hosts in to it. I have only few doubts left.Could you please clarify ??

In my vSphere environment,i have 5 VMs(vCenter server, vcloudDB,vClouddirector,NSX manager VM and vCloud DNS VM).

I could not see any VMs in vcloud director.It is showing as zero and what i need to do now to see all the VMs?

pastedImage_3.png

Thanks,

Manivel R

0 Kudos
paluszekd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Manivel,

Did you follow the steps on the Home page?

pastedImage_0.png

Looks like you attached your vCenter, but you will need to create a provider VDC (think of this as the resources we will mount from a vCenter), an external network, network pool, then go into the tenant constructs - create an organization (tenant) and then attach resources via a organization VDC (resource that are carved from the provider VDC). From there, you will be able to create VMs inside of a tenant organization.

-Daniel

0 Kudos
ManivelR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Daniel,

Thank you.Im fine to create a new VM.

What about existing VMs ? I mean those 5 VMs. I cant see those five VMs in vCloud director ??

Thanks,

Manivel R

0 Kudos
paluszekd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I see - not sure why you would want to manage NSX, vCD, Postgres VM's from vCD, but this would fall in the "Adopt a VM" vCD behavior - tfojta did a blog post here on this topic: vCloud Director 8.20: VM Auto-import – Tom Fojta's Blog

0 Kudos
ManivelR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Daniel,

I thought all the running vsphere VMs will be visible after vcloud director installation(i mean when i connect and see the vcloud director via web).

I got it.

Thanks so much.Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Manivel R

0 Kudos
SebastianGrugel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In our vCD we have dedicated resource cluster which is managed by vCD.

Management cluster where we have vCD, vCenter m NSX is not visible inside vCD.

Sebastian

vExpert VSAN/NSX/CLOUD | VCAP5-DCA | VCP6-DCV/CMA/NV ==> akademiadatacenter.pl
0 Kudos
ManivelR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you Sebastian.

0 Kudos