VMware Cloud Community
mattvmworld
Contributor
Contributor

vCloud director 5.1 Organizations issue

Hello,

I am setting up the cloud using vcloud director 5.1, while adding / Importing VAPP in the organization I am getting "Unable to complete the operation because the current Organization VDC "Demo-Org-VDC" is deactivated or it is not ready".

- I have tried disabling / Enabling Organization VDC

- Tried upgrading vcloud director databases

- Checked logs found Internal Server Error

- Restarted VCD services

Attached is the screenshot of the error, not found any solution on google. Please suggest.

Regards,

Matt.

22 Replies
cyberpubs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How about your ESXi, or you resource pool (Cluster)... There are without problems?

Regards,

VMware Certified Professional VCP5
0 Kudos
mattvmworld
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yeah the ESXi servers are normal, it seems that this problem is because of VXLAN. Is it mendatory for vcloud ? or without VXLAN we can build the cloud with vcloud Director 5.1 ?

I have also found network error in logs, attached is the screenshot.

Any help .....

Regards,

Matt.

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

Is the provider VCD (that the org VDC is in) enabled or in an error state?

0 Kudos
mattvmworld
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The Provider VDC is enabled and the status is also active. Attached is the screenshot of it.

Any specific logs I should look ? we are not using VXLAN, we are using "vSphere port group backed" Network Pool. Attached is the screenshot of it.

Regards,

Matt.

0 Kudos
cyberpubs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please be sure than the Organization vDC is activated, and check if the ESXi has been prepared correctly.

VMware Certified Professional VCP5
0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

Can you show the exception from the logs?

0 Kudos
kouji108
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

any solution for this issue? I have the exact issue and no idea to solve this issue..

0 Kudos
ross_cav
Contributor
Contributor

Put a +1 on this post for me, I too appear to be having the same issue and I can't seem to figure out what's causing it. Close to just rebuilding the environment again. It is only for test / evaluation purposes, but still, would be nice if I could resolve the current setup.

0 Kudos
kouji108
Contributor
Contributor

nobody other than us had this issue?

0 Kudos
ross_cav
Contributor
Contributor

I completely rebuilt an ESXi on ESXi environment to test, got past that issue... have another minor one, but, since nobody replied I thought I'd start again. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice. I even had a representative of VMware here and showed them and they didn't know what caused it either.

0 Kudos
Exwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Under vCD 5.1.1 (5.1 also?), creating a new provider VDC will also automatically create a VXLAN network pool.

If you don't have VXLAN configured, you'll get an error - that's the "Ensure the infrastructure is prepared in VSM" error you posted.

There's no way to disable this automatic creation, or to disable VXLAN, so you're stuck with a VXLAN network pool that's constantly showing an error.

Provider VDCs that you created before 5.1 don't automatically get a VXLAN network pool - only new ones created under 5.1.

This won't keep you from creating a new pVDC, but you WILL be stuck with the error.

As an earlier poster said, it sounds like your Org VDC is disabled.

0 Kudos
Kylel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I ran into this error in my lab setup, although my issue may have been slightly different. Heres what I did anyway:

- When I attempted to upload an ISO for the vApp template I received the same error message reported by Matt.

- Checked the Org VDC - found that it had errors during creation. I wasn't sure why so I disabled and re-enabled the Org VDC. This cleared all the errors and everything appeared to be working. (I think this was a false positive).

- Same error when trying to upload the ISO.

- Deleted and re-created the Org VDC. Noticed vCenter failed to create a folder called "testcloud-vcd" (the same name as my vCD virtual machine). Because my vCD VM was in the root folder, the new folder name would conflict with the VM name and not create.

- Moved the vCD VM into a new subfolder. Deleted and recreated the Org VDC again. No errors this time.

- Attempted upload - no problems.

Like I said, this might be a different issue to what you were having but hopefully this helps someone.

Regards,

Kyle.

ibi007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

count me in

I think the actual error comes when we first deploy the Org VDC ' Cannot create VDC ' as mentioned earler in the post disabling and re enabling will get the 'red X' away and show us that everything is perfect. although we get a error message in the logs 'Status: Error' and with 'Details: Internal Server Error'

However when it comes to uploading media after creating the catalog for hat Org VDC we get the error message Unable to complete the operation because the current Organization VDC "Demo-Org-VDC" is deactivated or it is not ready".

@kylel, Kyle,

Can you please explain what you did a bit more details to fix the issue. I have seen on my vCenter Server that we get a new Resource Pool with the same name but I cant understand what you moved to different directory in vCD virtual machine at what location can you mention please.

Thanks,

Ibrahim

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

i came across this error and the way i fixed it was to go into vCloud and to manually create the VXLAN, even if you aren't using it it is a base requirement and without it the org VDC's can become "unstable" like you are experiencing. I'll try stick up a screenshot later around where to manually create the VXLAN if you don't know

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
Kylel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ibi007.

In my case here's what happened:

I had deployed the vcd cell vm in the root of the cluster (not in a vm folder). When you create your first org vdc it tries to create a vm folder (not a resource pool) in the root of the cluster which is named after your vcd cell vm. If you happen to have the vcd cell vm in the root of the cluster like I did, the folder fails to create due to duplicate object names.

Once I had moved the vcd cell vm into a vm folder, I was able to delete and recreate the org vdc without any vcenter errors.

BTW, VXLAN failed to provision for me due to the common vib download error. I left vxlan in this unprepared state for a long time without any adverse effects since I was using vlans instead.

Regards,

Kyle.

0 Kudos
ibi007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response Gregg, I understand that VXLAN now created by default on vcloud 5.1. However our organization does not require huge VLAN, hence why we did not do any change on the underling network (enable multicast etc).

However as we deal with critical data and we need to have the best network performance I have to stick to VLAN backed network.

I will appreciate if you can show me a work around or the process how you manually created  the VXLAN to fix this issue.

my current setup is using  vCloud Appliance.

Thanks

Ibrahim.

0 Kudos
ibi007
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the details Kyle, I will check my setup again!

Regards,

Ibrahim.

0 Kudos
ibi007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

does the VXLAN stop us adding vApp template and iso ? can you please advice how did you create he VXLAN in vCloud. my vcenter does to show the Network tab to prepare the host for VLAN ??

Regards,

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

if you go into manage and monitor, cloud resources, network pools and then click the green cross it will allow you to create the vxlan network pool manually. Sorry away from any vCloud lab that i can screenshot

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos