VMware Cloud Community
thuang2
Contributor
Contributor

vCloud director 1.5 - multi-cell setup

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find docs on how to set up multiple cell for vCloud director 1.5 (both Oracle DB and MS SQL)? Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It is just a matter of setting u another cell, they share the same database.  There is also an NFS requirement and then the load balancing considerations.  Some of this is in the vCAT 2.0 reference architectre on VMware.com

0 Kudos
thuang2
Contributor
Contributor

If the database is MS SQL, can the multi cells share the same database? Thanks.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

the general process is the same.

1. setup the first cell, and get it working ... load the vCloud web UI at least once.

2. copy the answer file over to the secondary cell

3. run the setup using the answer file (something.responses ... i can't remember the name)

4. load up the vCD UI again, and configure the public addresses etc for Load Balancing.

I'm pretty sure all of this is in the installation manual, or in another guide I can't find.

Best Regards,

Jon Hemming

0 Kudos
ben_c1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vcd_15_install.pdf

This doc includes information about how to set up your initial cell and also how to set up subsequent cells.

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert

Step to not miss: you have to use the Response file from your first cell setup.  If you just do a full install without the Response file param it will install, but will fail to work.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
thuang2
Contributor
Contributor

Also, when checking vmware-vcd service, I got the following error:

vmware-vcd-watchdog is running

vmware-vcd-cell is dead, but pidfile exists

Then I had to restart vmware-vcd service.

0 Kudos