VMware Cloud Community
mbalasre
Contributor
Contributor

vCloud VM Metadata

Is it possible to get details of VM like vApp, Orgvdc. pVDC etc from a deployed vApp (something like ec2 instance metadata).

Reason: This is to invoke API from a deployed VM to change its parameters

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert

I think I see what you are after.

Sort of...  Take a look at:

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/06/ovf-runtime-environment.html

Running:

vmtoolsd --cmd "info-get guestinfo.ovfenv"

from inside a guest (different ect or OSX, Linux, Windows) can get you some information.  You can then use that information to query the source vCenter, or vCloud to get more information.

(You also can use the OVF properties to add custom information that the guest can see)

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mbalasre
Contributor
Contributor

That does not have enough info. Is there anyway i can get the vApp information for a deployed VM?

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert

What is the usecase?  I askl hoping I can help with a solution...  If from isndei the guest you need to know the vApp you would need to do one of two things I can think of.

1: Add a custom ovfProperty using the task process system.

2: From the given info in the ovfProperties already, you can query vCloud and find what VM (and hence vApp ect).

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
QuincySanders
Contributor
Contributor

If you're an org, or system admin in vCD, you should be able to right-click, go to properties, and select the metadata tab. Is this not sufficient ?

0 Kudos