VMware Cloud Community
yaseen_ka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCloud Upgrade question - 1.5 to 5.1

I am in the planning to upgrade my vCloud 1.5 environment to 5.1. I am currently running a single cell vcenter 5.0 and ESX 5.0 environment. I am not going to upgrade vcenter and ESXi to 5.1 now, but will later. Below are the steps I am going to follow.

1. Upgrade vcloupd to 5.1

2. Upgrade the DB

3. Restart vcd service

4. Upgrade vshiel manager to 5.0 vshield network and security manager.

I have VCNI pools configured. I read some where that 5.1  supports only VXLAN. Can someone pls tell me if I am going to have issues with vapps running with VCNI confiugrations??

Also pls advice if upgrading only vCD and vSM to 5.1 and leaving vcenter and ESXi at 5.0 will create any problems on exiting VMs?? Pls advice if my upgrade plan is correct.

Thanks,

Yaseen

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BhaskarSA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Yaseen,

> I have VCNI pools configured. I read some where that 5.1  supports only  VXLAN. Can someone pls tell me if I am going to have issues with vapps  running with VCNI confiugrations??

VCD 5.1 supports VCNI network pools. It also support VXLAN. You should be able to upgrade without running into problems with your VCNI network pools.

> Also pls advice if upgrading only vCD and vSM to 5.1 and leaving vcenter  and ESXi at 5.0 will create any problems on exiting VMs?? Pls advice if  my upgrade plan is correct.

Please check support matrix and upgrade guides.

-Bhaskar.

0 Kudos