VMware Cloud Community
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

vCloud Director with vSphere 7

Hello, we have one environment with vCloud Director 10.1.1, NSX-V 6.4.6 and vCenter 6.7. It’s working well. I’m planning to deliver the container as services by vCloud.

I would like to create a new environment separate (hardware) only for the delivery of the containers. This new environment is: vCenter 7, NSX-T, CSE, PKS and vSAN.

I’ll create a new PVDC with this new environment in the vCloud.

My questions are:

1 – Can I have in one same vCloud one NSX-T and one NSX-V in different vCenters? I can't find any articles to help me.

2 - What are the benefits of having a PKS? I saw that I can install CSE in standard mode and I do not need a PKS.

3 - I saw that the CSE 2.6.1 GA supports only the NSX-T 2.5.1 and the vCenter 7 supports only NSX-T 3. Can I use the CSE with vCenter 7?

Sorry if I was missing something.

Release Notes | Container Service Extension (CSE)

VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paluszekd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi diegodco31, in-line -

My questions are:

1 – Can I have in one same vCloud one NSX-T and one NSX-V in different vCenters? I can't find any articles to help me.

Yes, one can have a VCD instance that has multiple vCenters that mix and match NSX-T and V. We can even have a single provided backed vCenter instance that has NSX-V and NSX-T.

2 - What are the benefits of having a PKS? I saw that I can install CSE in standard mode and I do not need a PKS.

PKS, or TKGI, provides the ability to roll out the entire, certified stack for a dedicated organization. As of right now, we can support TKGI/PKS or upstream K8s for CSE.

3 - I saw that the CSE 2.6.1 GA supports only the NSX-T 2.5.1 and the vCenter 7 supports only NSX-T 3. Can I use the CSE with vCenter 7?

I don't believe this has been fully certified - CSE 2.6.1 only supports VCD 10.1 while it has not been validated for 10.1.1. 10.1.1 introduced support for NSX-T 3.0.x and vSphere 7. The API calls from VCD to NSX-T are fundamentally different between 2.5.1 and 3.0.x.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I can't speak to many of your points except the PKS one (now called TKGI). TKGI is going to give you the most robust experience since it's been battle hardened over the last 2+ years on the market and is in use by quite a lot of customers. The CSE functionality is comparatively fairly green and with fewer features.

paluszekd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi diegodco31, in-line -

My questions are:

Yes, one can have a VCD instance that has multiple vCenters that mix and match NSX-T and V. We can even have a single provided backed vCenter instance that has NSX-V and NSX-T.

PKS, or TKGI, provides the ability to roll out the entire, certified stack for a dedicated organization. As of right now, we can support TKGI/PKS or upstream K8s for CSE.

I don't believe this has been fully certified - CSE 2.6.1 only supports VCD 10.1 while it has not been validated for 10.1.1. 10.1.1 introduced support for NSX-T 3.0.x and vSphere 7. The API calls from VCD to NSX-T are fundamentally different between 2.5.1 and 3.0.x.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thank you for reply.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos