VMware Cloud Community
NexusNetworks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCloud Director is incorrectly reporting memory usage

One of my PvDC's is incorrectly reporting memory usage in the cluster. I have 277GB total memory in the cluster and vCD says I'm using 188 GB's. However under "memory allocation" I only have 95.5 assigned. Is this because of something wrong with vCD? Is it because I only assign a 65% guarantee to resources? Just annoys me because I want to use this to actually guage how much memory the cluster is using. I suppose I could go into vCenter and look at the actual hosts usage, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dalidavila
Contributor
Contributor

Did you check first that selecting your PvDC at the admin panel and the selecting the tab "Hosts" and right clic over the host on properties you can see the real memory of the hosts? That is a good start to see if vCloud is recognizing the right amount of memory of your physical machines.

NexusNetworks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The memory amount is correct. However the memory USED is totally wrong. How is it possible to only have 54GBs allocated and 174GBs used out of 276GB total of memory. This is a serious issue because if it believes I have used 100% of the memory, I will be unable to provision more VM's and thus making about 100+GB's of RAM totally useless. However the weird thing is, I have another cluster which is reported correctly.

0 Kudos
NexusNetworks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
NexusNetworks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, so I have figured out what is going on. I'll contribute what I found so hopefully it can spare other people some headache if this happens to them.

I have a cluster of two servers, I enabled HA, thus changing the amount of reserved resources in the cluster due to the possiblity of failure and the cluster has to have enough resources to cover what the cluster now lacks if a server died. In my situation, I have two servers with 144GB of RAM a piece, I was going nuts because when I first set the cluster up and booted up a VM, it instantly shot to 132GB of RAM being used.

I logged directly into vCenter to look at the "Resource Allocation" tab on the cluster and saw that the "Reserved Capacity" was indeed matching what vCloud Director reported. Just to test, I disabled HA and immediately saw the Reserved Capacity drop to what was ACTUALLY being used. SO in short, I was just more or less inexperienced in how HA REALLY works the whole fail over and capacity planning. Hope this saves some people who are as unfamiliar as I was with it. Perhaps it's time to read the "HA - Deep Dive" book. Thanks all.

0 Kudos
dalidavila
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

So the problem recide in what you have configured in the HA parameters.

Right clic on the cluster at vcenter, edit settings, select vSphere HA on the left panel, then, on the right panel, review the configuration you have, if it is for host failures, a percentage of resources (here is where you designate the amount or percentage of memory and cpu for HA to reserve) or the specify failover host (this is not a very good option because you reserves an entire host)

Regards

0 Kudos