VMware Cloud Community
blackmscloud
Contributor
Contributor

vCloud Director and Datastore Cluster

I'm using vCloud Director 5.5 with vSphere 5.5 (ofc), I have actually only one iscsi lun mapped on vcd but now i have to add another one.

AFAIK from the Installation Guide, seems that SDRS is required for VCD but it should be available only in Enterprise Plus license and VCD can be used also with Enterprise license only.

My doubt is related to the capabilty of the VCD to use more lun on the same storage profile, deciding which is the most empty and so on. Is it possible to achieve this without SDRS enabled? Or it's a requirements for it?

Googling around I founded different articles but some of them uses DS clusters and some not.

Someone can help me with this???

2 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert

You do not need storage drs for this.  If you add the new storage to the same profile vCloud will be able to start using it.  It will pick what it thinks is the best storage out of the two when it does deployments.

One trick/issue here is what vmware thinks is the best might not be what you think is the best.

First it will get a list of all the datastores in the profile that match

Next if will remove from that list any datastore that is RED  (yellow and red thresholds are settable in vcloud for each datastore)

If fast provision is enabled - if a linked clone can be made without the need to create a "shadow" copy, then the datastore that can provide that will be picked

If still needing storage - whatever datastore has the most % free will be selected.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
blackmscloud
Contributor
Contributor

Get it, thanks for your information, you clarified the concept Smiley Happy.

I founded a tutorial on Internet to add a DS Cluster in vCD which tag the lun directly and not the Cluster itself, then this guy add every lun of the cluster to vcloud, is it correct or is possible to add the cluster itself?

0 Kudos