VMware Cloud Community
Ashley004
Contributor
Contributor

vCloud Director advice

Hi All

Wanted to find out what everyone’s advice or suggestions would be.

We have various existing vSphere and esx clusters running and have been running for a while , we are in the process of implementing vCloud director 1.5 into our environments and are looking to do either

1. Deploy into the existing setup so basically configure vCloud director and needed components into the current clusters

2. Deploy into a completely new separate cluster ,so new vSphere server and new esx/esxi servers

So I am basically asking would you deploy vCloud director into existing setup or separate it off into new setup

Ashley

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you have not read vCAT 2.0 you should as it addresses this very question.  Generally speaking layer vCD on top of existing vCenter's.  The constructs of the vApp are different in vCloud director and there is no UI way to move items from vCenter management to vCD management.  You can runt he vCD management stack in your current vCenters, but a new vCenter and compute clusters are always recommended when building vCD for a number of reasons.  You can then migrate VM's into vCloud director, but you should you plan on a side by side setup per the vCAT 2.0

0 Kudos
Ashley004
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris

Thanks for the very helpful info , vCAT 2.0 is exactly what I was looking for , have also seen some articles on your website regarding vcloud load balancing which I will be going through , thanks again

Ashley

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Cool.  Glad I could help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos