VMware Cloud Community
Mr_G_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCloud Director SQL Connection

Hi Guys,

Having a really weird problem here. I have setup my SQL database as per the Installation and configuration guide but cannot Cell system to connect to it. I keep getting arror message saying "Could not connect to database. Please reenter". I can however connect to the database successfully using ODBC in Windows.

Below is what im entering in the connection details: -

The following database types are supported:
        1. Oracle
        2. Microsoft SQL Server
Enter the database type [default=1]: 2
Enter the host (or IP address) for the database: vcd-db.domain.com
Enter the database port [default=1433]:
Using default value "1433" for port.

Enter the database name [default=vcloud]:
Using default value "vcloud" for database name.

Enter the instance name [default=MSSQLSERVER]: VCDDB
Enter the database username: vcloud
Enter the database password: vcloudpass
Connecting to the database: jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://vcd-db.domain.com:1433/vcloud;socketTimeout=90;instance=VCDDB

Could not connect to database. Please reenter.

Here is a screenshot of the database:

Any assistance will be very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nirvy
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If you are using a named instance (what you're entering suggests you created a named instance called VCDDB), i'm pretty sure you will need to use the port configured for that named instance, as only the default instance uses 1433.  It will work in ODBC presumably because the SQL Browser is running on the server and the client is able to talk on udp 1434 to find out what dynamic port the named instance is on, but vCloud installer probably can't do this...

In other words: default instance (MSSQLSERVER) will probably be on 1433, any named instances by default will be listening on dynamic ports - find out what it is and use that in the Port field.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

First you need to check on your hostname in vCD either you able to ping " vcd-db.domain.com " from your VCD server

After that check on your SQL DB server in firewall cause sometime when you are deploying default your firewall of windows will automatically block.

Thirdly, you check on vCD server (redhat) firewall, if you are set by default (iptables).

Hope it's help~

@ -- visit my blog at http://www.azmer.my -- @ virtue your mind @ KamilAzmer
0 Kudos
Mr_G_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the tips but im still not having any joy here. Anybody else got suggestions?

0 Kudos
pscheri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, are you able to connect via Telnet?

Verify that the SQL Browser service is enable in case the instance is not listening in port 1433.

You may try to enable the protocols name pipes and tcp/ip are enable in the Server Configuration

0 Kudos
nirvy
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If you are using a named instance (what you're entering suggests you created a named instance called VCDDB), i'm pretty sure you will need to use the port configured for that named instance, as only the default instance uses 1433.  It will work in ODBC presumably because the SQL Browser is running on the server and the client is able to talk on udp 1434 to find out what dynamic port the named instance is on, but vCloud installer probably can't do this...

In other words: default instance (MSSQLSERVER) will probably be on 1433, any named instances by default will be listening on dynamic ports - find out what it is and use that in the Port field.

0 Kudos
Mr_G_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Many thanks I managed to get it working by accepting MSSQLSERVER on the default port of 1433. Not quite sure how or why this is working seeing as I changed the DB instance name to VCDDB.

Anyway many thanks again for the assistance really is appreciated!

0 Kudos