VMware Cloud Community
marburg
Contributor
Contributor

vCloud Director - OVF upload fails

Hi everyone,

I'm currently testing a stripped down version of vCloud director hosted by a third party cloud provider. It seems that everything I tested works fine so far except the OVF upload.

I get the error message that the "host could not be looked up", which I guess is something proxy related. I had a similar issue trying the RESTclient for testing the API and after specifying the proxy it worked.

Proxy settings are configured in Win 8.1 Internet Settings and the browser, shouldn't that be enough for it to work or do I have to specify the proxy specifically for the Client Integration Plugin? Not sure if this is relevant, but in our network, the proxy config is done by an automatic script, so I cannot define a static IP. It will change from time to time.

Thanks a lot in advance

Best regards

marburg

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Generally speaking this is what's going to happen when you attempt to upload a file.

1. you click the button in the vCD GUI

2. A Java Applet loads so you can locate the files on your local system

3. vCloud Director will gather some data to be passed to your system, specifically the "REST API URL" from Public Addresses

4. When you click the upload button, the path taken depends on the version of vCD

vCD 5.1.3 and prior, the "REST API URL" is passed to the Java Applet for upload and is sent to the Address directly.

vCD 5.5.0 and forward, the Client Integration Plugin (CIP) uses OVF Tool for uploads.  OVF Tool tries to resolve a hostname to an IP Address then use the IP Address for the upload.  If you can't resolve the name, then this might explain the problem.

When you can try, find out the hostname which cannot be resolved.  Determine an IP address for the HTTPS of the vCloud Director website (the one you use for the GUI).

Make an etc/hosts entry, mapping the HTTPS IP to the hostname that cannot be resolved.

Restart your browser and try to upload again.

If you still have problems, I'd need to see debug logs from the failed upload (how to get them is here: kb.vmware.com/kb/2081292)

0 Kudos
marburg
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. I managed to get the IP of the URL and changed the hosts file accordingly, now I just get the message "failed connect to host x.x.x.x on port 443". Web UI access works fine over SSL though.

I still have the feeling that there is still some part that requires the definition of the proxy server.

Also since I'm not the administrator of this environment, I don't think I can get any debug logs.

edit: Sorry I oversaw that this apparently seems to work as well as a user, let me check this quickly.

edit2: Alright, got the logs. Apparently in the log it doesn't use the IP anymore:

2015-03-26T15:43:17.819+01:00 [05616 verbose 'Default'] IP address lookup of <FQDN> failed with message No such host is known.

2015-03-26T15:43:17.819+01:00 [05616 verbose 'Default'] IP address lookup of <FQDN> failed with message No such host is known.

0 Kudos