VMware Cloud Community
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vCloud Director Networking Scenario Not Working

Hello

I'm setting up a vApp to connect to a routed OrgNetwork that in turn is directly connected to an External Network.  BTW - I know about vApp networks but lets leave them out of this for the moment.

On the routed OrgNetwork I've added some IPs to the NAT - External IPs tab and manually created some NAT mappings.

When powering on the vApp I can see vse deployed and all looks good, however:

1.  I cannot see the vShield Edge icon show up on the vApp Diagram

2.  The VM in the vApp does not get the external IP assigned from the mapping created earlier.

Can anyone give me any pointers?  The attached screenshots give more details.

Points will be awarded Smiley Wink

-gogogo5

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbudavari
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

That is correct - also note that with vApp Networks, the external IP is not visible when using a NAT type of Port Forwarding (only for IP Translation)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
rbudavari
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

You won't see the vShield Edge in your vApp Diagram as this belongs to the Organization Network which you are directly connecting to (not the vApp). The external network is not visible within the VM for the same reason. The behaviour you are expecting applies when vApp networks are used, not with Organization networks.

Also the vShield Edge should be deployed when the Organization network is created, not when your vApp is powered on.

gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi rbudavari - thanks for clarifying the behaviour of the vApp network vs Org networks.

So I am wondering that when viewing the VM level of a vApp, the column "External IP" only shows the IP address when using vApp networks?  In other words, will the external IP address appear under the "External IP" column when using manually mapped NAT?

Cheers

-gogogo5

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

External IP only shows when using a fenced or routed vApp network, when IP mode is set to IP Translation, and a NAT rule exists for the VM NIC

gogogo5 wrote:

Hi rbudavari - thanks for clarifying the behaviour of the vApp network vs Org networks.

So I am wondering that when viewing the VM level of a vApp, the column "External IP" only shows the IP address when using vApp networks?  In other words, will the external IP address appear under the "External IP" column when using manually mapped NAT?

Cheers

-gogogo5

rbudavari
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

That is correct - also note that with vApp Networks, the external IP is not visible when using a NAT type of Port Forwarding (only for IP Translation)

0 Kudos
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

rbudavari/_morpheus_

Thanks for clarifying the behaviour of networking and how/when NAT details are presented in the GUI.  Useful to know what is expected behaviour.

Would be useful for the External IP column to show the IP address regardless of whether it is auto-NAT'ed or manually NAT'ed...Maybe a feature for a future release.

Cheers

-gogogo5

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It does show IP address whether auto or manual. It doesn't show the external IP if the NAT is done at the org net level.

0 Kudos
rajesh447
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the similar issue, when using routed NAT org network, I don't see any assignments under External IP Allocation , on the Edge Gateway. No external IP's are assigned to the Virtual Machines....please advise

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

1) Assuming you're using 5.1.x, there's no such thing as a routed NAT org network. I assume you mean routed org VDC net.

2) Assignments will be there under external IP for each gateway interface IP. Your screenshot shows that you have one.

3) Your question about external IPs assigned to virtual machines has already been asked and answered. NAT mappings made at the gateway level don't show up in a vApp.

rajesh447 wrote:

I have the similar issue, when using routed NAT org network, I don't see any assignments under External IP Allocation , on the Edge Gateway. No external IP's are assigned to the Virtual Machines....please advise

0 Kudos
RSharma20111014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. Really appreciated...I made some progress. I followed http://www.gabesvirtualworld.com/vmware-vcloud-5-1-networking-for-dummies/

step by step....but I am unable to ping the Default Gateway from the vApp. I really don't know what i am doing wrong here, edge gateway and the actual vApp vm is running on the same host. Please help me with this, thanks for your help

Please let me know if you need any other info. I would like to rdp to the vApp from my lab network 10.50.20.0 , which is the external network on vCloud.

0 Kudos
RSharma20111014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to figure out...it was the Network Pool and the back end port groups, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos