VMware Cloud Community
supermega
Contributor
Contributor

vCloud Director IPv6 for Org external Network

Hey experts

I'm looking for a option, to bind a public IPv6 IP to a external Organisation Network.

Is such a option intergrated in the newest version of vCloud Director /vShield ?

regards

supermega

0 Kudos
10 Replies
supermega
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody knows something about it?

I can't find any reference in the Documentations.

regards

supermega

0 Kudos
StratoGen201110
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

As far as we know, this is not possible.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

A Routed Org Network or a Direct Attached Org Network?

A routed Org Network connects through an Edge Gateway that doesn't support IPv6.

A Direct Attached Org Network connects directly to a vSphere port group so it boils down to whether the Guest OS supports or not IPv6 (I'd argue most do).

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
supermega
Contributor
Contributor

Sry for my late reply. Smiley Sad

Oke thank you very much this is very helpful.

But how I get the vCloud Director Web interface IPv6 accessible over the Internet. If i try to install the vCloud Director with two IPv6 Nic's only he says that two IPv4 address are required.

regards

supermega

0 Kudos
supermega
Contributor
Contributor

I installed the new version of vCloud Director (5.1).

On the two Interface I setting up Dualstack Mode like an IPv4 and one IPv6.

Over the IPv4 address I can login into the vCloud Director Web GUI.

Over the IPv6 address I can't open up the Web GUI.

regards

supermega

0 Kudos
supermega
Contributor
Contributor

I don't get any email from JonathanG. Smiley Sad

Have anyone a good solution to make vCloud Direcot IPv6 accessible over the Internet ?

regards

supermega

0 Kudos
JonathanG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Supermega

What is the use case for IPv6 external network? why is ipv4 insufficient? or is this just for fun?Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
tsugliani
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've been using vCloud Director with IPv6 in my homelab.

To give a bit more information on how it works, I used 3 portgroups on vSphere and here is how I "use" vCloud Director :

- 1 vNic with a /29 subnet on internet. (I associate the IPs into astaro, and then IP translate them to a vShield Edge on vNic 2 without any fw rules)

- 1 vNic with on a portgroup in my environment considered as a External Network in VCD (Using it with my /29 subnet and a Org External Routed network/vShield Edge Gateway) to attribute everything from vCloud Director without having to torture myself configuring the network everywhere.

- 1 vNic on a portgroup in my environment where my HE IPv6 tunnel broker is connected, and attribute IPs automatically from Astaro. (This is imported into VCD as a External Network, just use any ipv4 subnet for it as it doesn't support IPv6 in the GUI, nothing will be managed from VCD)

That way I can *play* with both IPv4 & IPv6 on internet.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
supermega
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply.

The VM's in the Cloud need to be IPv6 accessible. This is working now because of the direct attachted network.

The hole project is not just for fun. I need that for some costumer. !!

Now the next challenge is to make the vCloud Website IPv6 accessible for any Organisation. ( https://2a00:xxxx:xxxx::/cloud/org/test )

I have some Problems with the configuration of tsugliani. He's using astaro. I think he do a IPv6 to IPv4 translation ??

My ISP gave me a IPv6 public Range. I just want to make the vCloud Gui running on CentOS with IPv6. 🙂

regards

supermega

0 Kudos
supermega
Contributor
Contributor

I don't getting these GUI running over IPv6.Smiley Sad

I think the best thing would be waiting for a new vCloud Director version.

regards

supermega

0 Kudos