VMware Cloud Community
alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCloud Director External Network network configuration

Hello everyone! For external network configuration within vCloud Director I have vDS's configured with multiple port groups.  Each port group has a specific vlan tag and no trunking.  My question is when I create the external network can I just use the specific port group listed or do I have to configure a totally separate portgroup for this?  Also, if I can you my existing port groups which are specifically for each company in our environment, when I continue to configure the external network and click finish, can it or will it cause an outage to the vms currently in that port group?  Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're using a direct connect Org External network, then the existing portgroup will work.  If you're using a routed external org network, then edge will be created using the portgroup you specified for external network, and creating a new portgroup for routed ext org network part.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're using a direct connect Org External network, then the existing portgroup will work.  If you're using a routed external org network, then edge will be created using the portgroup you specified for external network, and creating a new portgroup for routed ext org network part.

-KjB

0 Kudos
alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!  Does configuring this cause any down time for the current vms connected to the port group that I'm configuring for the external network?  Unfortunately this is live and I have no test lab.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't remember if that was that was the case or not, but even the admin guide says without proper isolation at L2, there could be disruption on the networks.

-KjB

alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

last thing....so this would be on the physical switch side as far as the vlan configuration correct?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is correct, VLANs have to be pre-provisioned in order to be used.

-KjB

0 Kudos
alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Awesome! I have them configured and for what I know is that vlans are already layer to and can be configured for layer 1 as well.  So I'll go ahead and make the configuration.  Thanks so much for you help!!! 

0 Kudos