VMware Cloud Community
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCloud Director Evaluation

Guys,

I have 2 ESXi hosts running 5.0 U2.  Both hosts are using the free licenses I also have vCenter 5 running under the eval license.  Will the vCD evaluation appliance work with my hosts running under the free licenses?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In short ... not, it won't work.

As far as I know ... If you have a "Free ESXi" license, it should not connect to vCenter.  If you attempt to add the ESXi host which uses the free license, it should fail stating you don't have a license for the vCenter agent.

This means you either need a paid license for ESXi, or a trial for the current versions.  I think you can only get a vCloud Suite license on trial now, which will only work in vCenter 5.1.

Additionally, the Free ESXi license does not include DRS ... which is required by vCloud Director.  So that's another reason to have a higher license level.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In short ... not, it won't work.

As far as I know ... If you have a "Free ESXi" license, it should not connect to vCenter.  If you attempt to add the ESXi host which uses the free license, it should fail stating you don't have a license for the vCenter agent.

This means you either need a paid license for ESXi, or a trial for the current versions.  I think you can only get a vCloud Suite license on trial now, which will only work in vCenter 5.1.

Additionally, the Free ESXi license does not include DRS ... which is required by vCloud Director.  So that's another reason to have a higher license level.

0 Kudos
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Had a feeling that was the answer.  I know I could rebuild the hosts and leave them in eval mode for 60 days.  Can you "remove" the license and then apply it again in 60 days?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Within the first 60 days after installation, you should be able to remove the license (i.e. set the host to eval mode) and revert to the free license again later. To assign the free license again, you may however need to remove the hosts from vCenter and disable all enabled features which are not provided with the free license.

André

0 Kudos