VMware Cloud Community
jaffanz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCloud Director 8.0 to 8.0.1 upgrade fail with unable to update database Read timed out

Hi.

Wondering if anyone can shed light on this problem i have just had when performing an upgrade of vCloud Director from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1. The Binaries upgraded fine on both cells. the vCD system was correctly stopped and no jobs running etc.

On one of the 2 cells I kick off the /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/bin/upgrade script and it fails as below.

Do you wish to upgrade the product now? [Y/N] y

Examining database at URL: jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://10.100.1.23:1433/vcd;socketTimeout=90;prepareSQL=2

Running 5 upgrade tasks

Executing upgrade task:

Successfully ran upgrade task

Executing upgrade task:

Executing upgrade task:

Executing upgrade task:

......../Successfully ran upgrade task

Executing upgrade task:

....[4]

Unable to upgrade the database: java.lang.IllegalStateException: java.sql.SQLException: I/O Error: Read timed out

In the file [vcloud-container-info.log] i find several lines where everything onwards reports Task failed due to uncaught exception. (See attached)

2016-03-30 14:30:30,595 | INFO | main                  | UpgradeAgent               |

Executing task: Graph upgrade definition: for views since product version 5.5 |

2016-03-30 14:30:30,596 | INFO | main                  | UpgradeAgent               |

Executing upgrade task: |

2016-03-30 14:32:01,571 | WARN | pool-1-thread-1       | SerialAggregateTask        |

Inventory_Public.sql: Task failed due to uncaught exception |

java.sql.SQLException: I/O Error: Read timed out

at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.executeSQL(TdsCore.java:1053)
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsStatement.executeSQL(JtdsStatement.java:537)

This repeats until binary times out. database must be rolled back

of course now i have upgraded cells and no upgraded database so bit in limbo - could roll back but want to fix this instead.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Would you like to try the DB upgrade after increasing the socket timeout value

1. Back up the global.properties file using this command:

cp /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/etc/global.properties /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/etc/global.properties.bak

2. Open the file using a text editor:

vi /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/etc/global.properties
  • Locate this entry within the file:

database.jdbcUrl = jdbc:jtds:sqlserver:\/\/10.131.77.81:1433\/vcloud;socketTimeout=90

• Change this entry to:

database.jdbcUrl = jdbc:jtds:sqlserver:\/\/10.131.77.81:1433\/vcloud;socketTimeout=900
0 Kudos
jaffanz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi. thanks for that idea. i'll give it a go and report back.

cheers.

0 Kudos