steven_man
Contributor
Contributor

vCloud Director 5.5 fail to change NAT from automatic to manual

In our  cloud environment, below is the version of each component

• vCenter 5.5.1
  • vCloud Director 5.5.1
  • vCloud Networking and Security 5.5.0a

One vApp with one VM is created in Org VDC.

Two vApp network is created in vApp as below:

• One is direct external network (10.1.0.x)
  • One is isolated network (192.168.200.x) and enabled NAT. Its gateway is 192.168.222.1 and the range of IP is 192.168.200.2-192.168.200.254.

This network is NAT to external network (10.1.0.16),Its gateway is 10.1.0.17 and the range of IP is 10.1.0.18-10.1.0.28

The network interface of VM in vApp is configured to connect isolated network (i.e. 192.168.222.2). This vApp can be started successfully,

Then go to Networking tab in vApp -> select isolated network -> right -click to select configure services -> click NAT tab.

The NAT type is found as "IP Translation". And the VM interface nic0 (192.168.222.2) is automatically to mapped to 10.1.0.19.

When I changed mapping mode from automatic to manual and input 10.1.0.20/28 as external IP , but it failed to do.

The following error was found

"Invalid IP address for the external network (default gateway: 192.168.222.1/24)"

Please see attached file

It did not allow me to configure any IP from the range of IP between 10.1.0.19  and 10.1.0.28 as external IP

It could allow me configure any IP from the range of IP between 192.168.222.2 and 192.168.222.254 as external IP.

It is so strange to do mapping ( 192.168.222.2 <-> 192.168.222.x).

Do anyone know whether it is known bug? Any workaround?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I think in the case of Manual Mode, you can't use addresses which are assigned elsewhere.

e.g. you have an IP Pool for the external that is 3 addresses, so those can be programatically used else where when creating VMs.  So vCloud Director manages these 3 addreses automatically.  Therefore, don't manually use them somewhere else because it could (theoretically) cause a duplicate.

In the case of automatic NAT, vCD can draw from the existing pool of IP addresses and assign exactly 1 for the VM in question to be routed through for IP translation.

0 Kudos
steven_man
Contributor
Contributor

In case of manual mode,  configured external IPs are never used for any vApp, so it is not related to duplicated external IPs.

I really  want to configure manual NAT mode because I need configure NAT mapping for static IPs on the physical firewall.

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

No

IamTHEvilONE wrote:

I think in the case of Manual Mode, you can't use addresses which are assigned elsewhere.

e.g. you have an IP Pool for the external that is 3 addresses, so those can be programatically used else where when creating VMs.  So vCloud Director manages these 3 addreses automatically.  Therefore, don't manually use them somewhere else because it could (theoretically) cause a duplicate.

In the case of automatic NAT, vCD can draw from the existing pool of IP addresses and assign exactly 1 for the VM in question to be routed through for IP translation.

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

The error shown in your screenshot is because you have /28

remove everything except the IP address

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

true story.  I didn't read the reminder text at the bottom of the failed dialog box.    

0 Kudos
vmfu
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to enter IP Address without /28. But it still failed

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

Can you provide a new screenshot?

0 Kudos
steven_man
Contributor
Contributor

Hi morpheus,

Please see the attachement below.

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

Yah that doesn't make sense. File an SR

0 Kudos
Agusta2002
Contributor
Contributor

steven_man, did you ever get a resolution to this.  I've got the same issue.  It has previously been working fine.  I tried rebooting the VSM, resetting the vApp network and creating a new vApp Network but the issue still exists ie the NAT automatically assigns an IP in the correct range but you can't change it manually.  I did upgrade from vCloud 5.5 to 5.5.1 a couple of weeks ago so I'm wondering if there is a bug in 5.5.1.

0 Kudos
steven_man
Contributor
Contributor

No resolution yet. I also this issue is a bug in vCloud 5.5.1a.  Previously, I used vCloud 5.1.0 without this issue.

I think the current workaround is to control the startup order of VM to get external IP from the pool. Then check "Retain IP/MAC Resources" in vApp network.

0 Kudos