VMware Cloud Community
supermega
Contributor
Contributor

vCloud Director 5.5 broken Media in Public Cataloge

Hi there

I have a up and running cloud with 5.5. If I upload media (iso) to a public catalog and copy that to a private catalog vcloud says to me that he could not mount the media because of a incorrect media type (picture). If I upload the same iso into the private catalog directly I can mount and boot from the iso.

Are there any issues like that already known or and solution/workaround ?

regards

supermega

0 Kudos
9 Replies
nellermann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We had the same issue as well. Make sure that all of your hosts from various clusters can "See" the source storage of your ISO files. this corrected our ability to mount an ISO into a VM's virtual DVD tray, however we still have a bug in 5.5 that isn't letting us copy an ISO from Public Catalog to Org Catalog neither from provider level or Org level. The portal flashes and resets. Yes, we have an open VMware support ticket. Mostly getting crickets from VMware support with 5.5 issues... Very sad that 5.5 wasn't a better more feature reach solution, VMware has had years to make an awesome director portal for Enterprises and service providers but its another platform that doesn't get the love and attention it deserves from development and product management. (my 2 cents.)

Nick Ellermann
0 Kudos
supermega
Contributor
Contributor

Hi nellermann

thanks for your answer

All Hosts in the Cluster can see the Datastores where the iso's are saved. And yes as you said mouting a iso directly uploaded into a Org Catalog is working well. The only problem is really the copy from Public Catalog to a Org Catalog.

I will be very happy if you notice me if you get a solution from vmware 🙂

regards

supermega

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Here is a current issue with Catalogs that I am aware of:

1. create a catalog with some media

2. share the catalog between organizations

3. copy the media from the source catalog to the destination catalog

4. attempt to mount the media may fail ... media may show a ? for media type instead of the ISO image.

The signature for this issue in the debug logs is:

com.vmware.vcloud.api.presentation.service.BadRequestException: This media type is incorrect. Media type ISO was expected.

at com.vmware.ssdc.backend.services.impl.VmManagerImpl.insertMedia(VmManagerImpl.java:1427)

0 Kudos
liamjmitch
Contributor
Contributor

Can confirm this is happening to me also, different web browsers, the web page just reloads when trying to copy from a public catalog, with a cmd box that will popup and disappear in the blink of an eye. And I can upload normally from local computer to the org catalog. Very strange.

Cant see anything in the logs though on the above. Which one specifically do you see that in?

0 Kudos
nellermann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have had an open ticket for well over a week on this issue, VMware support has told me they are completely slammed right now. We have several open tickets for vCD 5.5, I was told by a manager last night that someone would connect with us today to review all of the open issues.. Not holding my breath. Our work around is to just re-upload ISO files for customers on an as needed basis into their private Catalogs. Yes, Painful.

Nick Ellermann
0 Kudos
iceman76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sehr geehrte Dame, sehr geehrter Herr,

ich befinde mich bis zum 24.03.2014 nicht im Hause. Ich empfange Ihre eMail zwar, kann Sie aber nicht bearbeiten. Bitte wenden Sie sich in dringenden Fällen an unsere Technikhotline, die unter der Rufnummer 0611 26244303 zu erreichen ist.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Carsten Buchberger

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

This is fixed in 5.5.1 when copying between organizations.

• Attempts add ISO files from another organization fail
    When you attempt to add an ISO file from another organization, the operation fails with the error BadRequestException: This media type is incorrect. This issue is resolved in vCloud Director 5.5.1.
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

@liamjmitch

your issue is different.  This is the no access to entity issue.  the workaround in 5.5.0 is to share the catalog to each org, and not use the 'all organizations'.  the symptom is that the browser looks like it refreshes the page when copying a vapp from a shared catalog to my cloud.

this is also fixed in 5.5.1

• Attempting to interact with a shared catalog fails with a no access to entity error
    When you attempt to interact with a catalog that is shared with All organizations from a different organization than the one you are working in, vCloud Director displays the errorNo access to entity. This issue is resolved in vCloud Director 5.5.1.
0 Kudos