VMware Cloud Community
rockrom
Contributor
Contributor

vCloud Director 5.5.5 .ISO file uploads fail on Mozilla Firefox

I'm having an issue where uploading an .ISO to a catalog is failing.  The transfer progress box pops up and goes immediately to failed at 0%.  This happens on Firefox (using latest - v46.0.1).  The upload is successful if I use Chrome (using latest - v51.0).  Looking at the version of CIP that's being used I see that Firefox is using 5.5 and Chrome 5.6.  Not sure if this has anything to do with it or why they would be using different versions.  vCenter is 5.5 U3b and both Firefox and Chrome use CIP 5.6 for it.  Anyone know why the different version of CIP for vCD and why we can't upload .ISO's with Firefox?  Just a pain for users (and of course they complain like it's the end of the world) to have to use Chrome for the .ISO upload (consoles don't work so still need Firefox for every day use).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdamRushUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've had these upload issues before.

Try the following steps:

1. Close all Internet browsers.
  2. Go to control panel and uninstall any vCloud Client Integration Plug-in.
  3. Remove the file ".csp_ovftool_settings.js" located in "c:\users\[USERNAME]" (more info: Uploading vApp templates to catalog fails in vCloud Director for Serivce Providers 5.6.5 (2144690) |...)

Once the above has been done, install the latest Plug-in from here: Download and Install the vCloud Director Client Integration Plug-In (2145401) | VMware KB

You can check the Support Matrix for browsers here: Supported browsers in VMware vCloud Director 5.5 (2058296) | VMware KB

Lastly, you can enable and gather debug logs if the issue persists: Collecting debug logs for failed uploads in vCloud Director 5.5.x (2081292) | VMware KB

VCP-Cloud | VCP5-DCV | MCITP:EA | MCSE | CCNA | CCAA LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/adamrushuk | Twitter : @adamrushuk
0 Kudos
AdamRushUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any joy?

VCP-Cloud | VCP5-DCV | MCITP:EA | MCSE | CCNA | CCAA LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/adamrushuk | Twitter : @adamrushuk
0 Kudos
JobinG
Contributor
Contributor

There could be multiple reasons for this issue.  No definite answer as such.

Adding few more  debug points apart from, what @Adam Rush mentioned above.

1. Check the firefox proxy settings.Ensure the network proxy services are fine in Your box

2. Check whether You have the correct permissions for the CIP Installation?

3. If the client machine is Windows, stop the vmware-csd service and try to upload the .ISO to the catalog from Firefox

Do You the face the same issue while deploying the vApp or downloading the vApp/ISO from Catalogs?  Technically, all these should fail when using firefox browser.

4. Check any suspects in the following log location if You are using Windows,

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\CIP\csd\logs

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\VMware\CIP\csd\logs

%USERSPROFILE%\VMware\CIP\ui\sessions

CIP is a browser plugin based on the Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI). Chrome and other browsers stopped supporting the NPAPI.

Hence the CIP code is changed to support these browsers+others. Depending on the browser You use, VCD/vCenter server versions, we can see different versions of CIP getting installed in the client machine.

0 Kudos
rockrom
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  This worked.  I uninstalled the plugin, deleted the file, then reinstalled the plug-in and I (and the other users) can now upload with Firefox. 

0 Kudos