VMware Cloud Community
Windspirit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vCloud Director 5.1 Appliance not working in Workstation 9

Hi all,

looks like the new vCloud Director Appliance isn't working in Workstation 9. Or at least NOT out of the box. (see attached picture)

Anyone any idea?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Windspirit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

right...after deploying it with vCenter I can see that the ovf dialoge passes a lot more info to the VM...such as network config etc.

Is there any way this can be passed to the created VM?

0 Kudos
sengork
Contributor
Contributor

I've hit the same issue before and concluded the OVF's are really meant for deploying on ESXi not Workstation itself. Presume this is due to the differences in virtual hardware capability between a VM in ESXi and a VM in Workstation.

If anyone has more details on this, I'd like to know too as it'd be nice to deploy OVFs in a truly portable manner.

0 Kudos
Windspirit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Nothing to do with that. Just that the OVF author assumes  that some Values come across (see attached). Workstation isnt able to deal with that. I even tried ovf-tool...

0 Kudos
sengork
Contributor
Contributor

Suppose Workstation could be updated to fetch the user inputs and pass them on the same way vCenter does it. This has the potential to save up on memory and disk IO when virtualising vCloud+vCenter in Workstation.

Another issue I've seen with ESXi vs Workstation OVF deployments is the assumption that the vNIC is of certain type. If not, the guest OS startup scripts fail to work as expected when deployed within Workstation.

At the end OVF simply ensures portability, and not compatibility. :smileymischief:

0 Kudos