VMware Cloud Community
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

vCloud Database Migration?

We are looking to upgrade to the latest vCloud director and migrate our databases from Oracle to SQL Server, does anyone know if there will be an easy migration path?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

As of now, only 3rd party tools could be used to migrate the database.  I know this is a vague statement, but I cannot provide much more than that.

As a side note, should a direct database migration occur with the use of 3rd party tools ... issues caused by this would not be supported by VMware.

Best Regards,

Jon Hemming

baskam
Contributor
Contributor

I’m out of the office and on vacation Tuesday, 09/6/2011, and will be back in the office Wednesday 09/7/2011.

If you require immediate assistance please contact support at lw-support@logicworks.net

Thanks,

Baska Walsh,

SR NOC Engineer

Logicworks

0 Kudos
Steven1973
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Rhidian,

We have the same issue. Startend with VC 1.0 on Oracle and like to move to VC 1.5 with SQL.

Have you upgraded yet and how did jou migrate to SQL.

Regards

0 Kudos
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't started this project yet, this move isn't supported by VMware although I'm keen to get it done.  What version of Oracle and SQL are you using?

0 Kudos
Steven1973
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We started of as a PoC using CentOS, Oracle Express so fully unsupported.

As you know PoC tend to turn into production environments and that is what happend here.

We are now thinking of building a new vCloud 1.5 environment based in Red Hat 5 and Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 next to the PoC Cloud.

Using the VMware Cloud Connector to move the VM's, templates and so on to the new environment.

0 Kudos
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

My understanding is you will need to perform the upgrade first and then migrate as the schema is changed then take a look at SSMA,

0 Kudos