VMware Cloud Community
Ashley004
Contributor
Contributor

vCloud Connector

Hi all

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the issue I am experiencing with vCloud connector.

I have installed and configured the connector, I can add clouds and can then get listings of VM’s of the clouds, the issue I have is when right clicking a VM and selecting copy to, I fill in all the relevant details under Copy to… , the job gets submitted and progress under progress gets to 25 % , the recent tasks show Export OVF template and in progress .

The job fails, and in the connector there is a message of Error in the exporting ___vm name caused by ____host name , a few minutes later the recent tasks will indicate a operations timeout error

Any suggestions ?

Ashley

0 Kudos
7 Replies
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am out of the office on vacation from 03-01-2011 to 03-10-2011.

0 Kudos
troyprouty
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not a VMware employee but I was part of the vCloud Connector beta and had some similar issues.  Something to verify, make sure your vCloud transfer folder has enough storage space available for the VMs or vApp your exporting.

0 Kudos
kschroed
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having a similar issue.  When you say cloud transfer folder I assume you are talking about the shared mount point in a mulit-cell configuration /opt/vmware/cloud-director/data/transfer on the vcloud servers in our case.

I have 100GB mount point for VCD transfers and am hitting a timeout issue trying to copy a 25GB Allocated VM, so I am certain there is enough space in the transfers directory for the move. 

0 Kudos
sjoglekar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can any of you paste the error stack trace from the vcloud-container-debug.log file located at \opt\vmware\cloud-director\logs? A screenshot of the error message on the UI will help too.

Thanks,

Sangeeta

0 Kudos
kschroed
Contributor
Contributor

Below is some data I collected. The user used to connect to vcloud is an Org Administrator.  If I use a user with vApp Author Privileges I do not seem to get any available Network Selections in the copy to wizard for destination cloud target. The User Guide does not mention what user role is required for connecting to the vcloud environment.

In the UI of 3 different attempts I've received different messages:

vsphere to vcloud test-1 VM1 25GB: OVF Descriptor could not be obtained. Error in exporting <VM Name>

vsphere to vsphere test-2 VM2 10GB: Error importing /opt/vmware/vccp/staging/vm-<string> caused by Error writing request body to server

vsphere to vcloud test-3 VM2 10GB: vappTemplate creation failed <VM Name>: Unable to perform this action. Contact your cloud administrator

Below is the debug stack trace for test 3.

2011-03-17 08:10:35,359 | WARN     | Quartz-pool-1-thread-9    | VAppUploadManagerImpl          | Transfer session: c989cf2e-12d9-49dc-896c-fc7b54aa5a33. Error during content upload: Internal Server Error | #60

com.vmware.vcloud.api.presentation.service.InternalServerErrorException: Internal Server Error

at com.vmware.ssdc.backend.services.impl.OvfTransferManagerImpl.importVAppFromOvf(OvfTransferManagerImpl.java:240)

at com.vmware.ssdc.backend.services.impl.VAppUploadManagerImpl.handleContentUploadedBody(VAppUploadManagerImpl.java:1546)

at com.vmware.ssdc.backend.services.impl.VAppUploadManagerImpl.handleContentUploaded(VAppUploadManagerImpl.java:1322)

at com.vmware.ssdc.backend.services.impl.VAppUploadManagerImpl.executeTask(VAppUploadManagerImpl.java:2384)

at com.vmware.vcloud.management.system.TaskServiceImpl.dispatchTask(TaskServiceImpl.java:1009)

at com.vmware.vcloud.management.system.TaskExecutionJob.execute(TaskExecutionJob.java:177)

at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:199)

at com.vmware.vcloud.scheduler.impl.ElasticQuartzThreadPool$3$1.run(ElasticQuartzThreadPool.java:209)

at com.vmware.vcloud.scheduler.impl.ElasticQuartzThreadPool$3$1.run(ElasticQuartzThreadPool.java:207)

at com.vmware.vcloud.common.threadpool.ThreadContextExecutor.execute(ThreadContextExecutor.java:36)

at com.vmware.vcloud.scheduler.impl.ElasticQuartzThreadPool$3.run(ElasticQuartzThreadPool.java:207)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertificateException: Host certificate thumbprint did not match expected value

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:174)

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1623)

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:198)

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:192)

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1074)

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ClientHandshaker.processMessage(ClientHandshaker.java:128)

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.processLoop(Handshaker.java:529)

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.process_record(Handshaker.java:465)

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:884)

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1120)

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.writeRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:623)

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppOutputStream.write(AppOutputStream.java:59)

at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java:65)

at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.write(BufferedOutputStream.java:104)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.ChunkedOutputStream.flushCacheWithAppend(ChunkedOutputStream.java:121)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.ChunkedOutputStream.write(ChunkedOutputStream.java:179)

at com.vmware.vcloud.common.http.ProgressReportingRequestEntity.writeRequest(ProgressReportingRequestEntity.java:183)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.EntityEnclosingMethod.writeRequestBody(EntityEnclosingMethod.java:499)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.writeRequest(HttpMethodBase.java:2114)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute(HttpMethodBase.java:1096)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry(HttpMethodDirector.java:398)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(HttpMethodDirector.java:171)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:397)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:346)

at com.vmware.ssdc.backend.services.impl.OvfTransferManagerImpl.uploadFileToVc(OvfTransferManagerImpl.java:333)

at com.vmware.ssdc.backend.services.impl.OvfTransferManagerImpl.importVAppFromOvf(OvfTransferManagerImpl.java:225)

... 13 more

Caused by: java.security.cert.CertificateException: Host certificate thumbprint did not match expected value        at com.vmware.ssdc.util.crypto.ThumbprintTrustManager.checkServerTrusted(ThumbprintTrustManager.java:76)

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1066)

... 34 more

2011-03-17 08:10:35,367 | DEBUG    | Quartz-pool-1-thread-9    | AbstractEventBuilder           | Source object was null when constructing com/vmware/vcloud/event/vappTemplate/create | #60479
2011-03-17 08:10:35,367 | DEBUG    | Quartz-pool-1-thread-9    | AbstractEventBuilder           | Pre-update source object was null when constructing com/vmware/vcloud/event/vappTemplate/create | #60479
2011-03-17 08:10:35,368 | DEBUG    | Quartz-pool-1-thread-9    | BackendEventBuilder            | class com.vmware.vcloud.backend.event.VappTemplateEventBuilder: no HttpInfo found while building event: Event [id=b41482ab-faa6-4618-a2b1-5f552ceb6746, timestamp=1300363835367, type=com/vmware/vcloud/event/vappTemplate/create, properties={
        currentContext.org.name=NDCS,
        currentContext.user.id=2026017762,
        vappTemplate.id=336308711,
        entity.type=com.vmware.vcloud.entity.vapptemplate,
        currentContext.login.user.id=2026017762,
        currentContext.user.name=kschroed.gen,
        vappTemplate.moref=group-v22994,
        vappTemplate.name=global-ucsm-test-3,
        currentContext.org.id=1851615257,
        currentContext.success=false,
        currentContext.login.org.id=1851615257,
        vappTemplate.vdc.id=2018525182,
        vappTemplate.vcId=569421723,
        entity.name=global-ucsm-test-3,
        entity.id=336308711,
}] | #60479
2011-03-17 08:10:35,368 | WARN     | Quartz-pool-1-thread-9    | EventDispatcherImpl            | postEvent called within an active transaction | #60479
2011-03-17 08:10:35,378 | INFO     | Quartz-pool-1-thread-9    | ChargebackEventHandler         | com.vmware.vcloud.chargeback.ChargebackEventHandler received an event with Status=false. Ignoring | #60479
2011-03-17 08:10:35,379 | DEBUG    | pool-eventPublishing-6-thread-1 | EventPublishingAgent           | Event agent 29236208-82de-4529-a00d-56a2d42ca239: publishing events |
2011-03-17 08:10:35,381 | DEBUG    | Quartz-pool-1-thread-9    | VAppUploadManagerImpl          | Transfer session: c989cf2e-12d9-49dc-896c-fc7b54aa5a33.  vApp template name: global-ucsm-test-3. Marked vApp template as failed. Previous status: COPYING_CONTENTS | #60479
0 Kudos
kleofas2
Contributor
Contributor

HI Ashley

I faced this problem and solved it by adding all my ESXes and vCenter to /etc/hosts on vCC machine.

The problem was that vCC couldn't resolve the machines's name to IP. That's why the error message was "...caused by [ESX_hostname]".

When I filled my /etc/hosts - the problem has gone.

Regards

Tomasz

0 Kudos
troyprouty
Contributor
Contributor

If you're using DNS and would prefer not to have a local host file you can also edit /etc/resolv.conf and add the search suffix you need for your particular domain.  I found that VCC could ping the other servers by name but only if using the FQDN.  Adding the search path to /etc/resolv.conf fixed this issue.

0 Kudos