VMware Cloud Community
goodgrief
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCloud 8.20 for SPs without NSX?

Hi,

Is it possible to deploy vCloud for service providers 8.20 without NSX and what would you lose by doing so? Just wondering for budgetary reasons. Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
solgaeDK
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You must have an NSX manager paired with a vCenter before you can add a vCenter to the vCD.

But that doesn't mean you have to use any of the NSX functionality. In fact, you don't have to set up any of the NSX components or even license it (outside of the default NSX Endpoint license that gets generated automatically by default) other than deploying a manager appliance. You can still add external network(s) (backed by regular vSphere portgroup, standard or distributed), and then add a direct access org network to one or more external network for each organization VDC. Of course, the external network has to be managed manually at your network stack for separation between orgs and/or VDCs. Also, if you want each org to manage their own network/routing/firewall, you'll have to provide that means outside of vCD.

Bear in mind, if you're part of the vCAN program, NSX is usually included with vCD unless you choose to go standalone, and has varying license levels.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
solgaeDK
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You must have an NSX manager paired with a vCenter before you can add a vCenter to the vCD.

But that doesn't mean you have to use any of the NSX functionality. In fact, you don't have to set up any of the NSX components or even license it (outside of the default NSX Endpoint license that gets generated automatically by default) other than deploying a manager appliance. You can still add external network(s) (backed by regular vSphere portgroup, standard or distributed), and then add a direct access org network to one or more external network for each organization VDC. Of course, the external network has to be managed manually at your network stack for separation between orgs and/or VDCs. Also, if you want each org to manage their own network/routing/firewall, you'll have to provide that means outside of vCD.

Bear in mind, if you're part of the vCAN program, NSX is usually included with vCD unless you choose to go standalone, and has varying license levels.

0 Kudos
goodgrief
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for that! Will see what vCloud sku they got.

0 Kudos
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If I deploy an NSX manager paired with a vCenter and I add external network(s) backed by regular vSphere portgroup,  is it possible to have some routed org/vapp networks withou deployng any NSX controller ?

0 Kudos
Raducanu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Routing must be done by an external router. As you are not using NSX, there is no router avaiable

0 Kudos
JW_KC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

is this answer still valid for the latest version 10.2 Do you still need to install  NSX manager to use VCD 10.2 when not using NSX?

0 Kudos
paluszekd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, we still require a NSX-v Manager during the new vCenter addition workflow. However, as others stated, one can use dvPG backed Network Pools and essentially use External Networks (and Direct from an org). NSX-T can be paired also within a site. If you're in VCPP, NSX DC SP-Base is included in the base bundle.

JW_KC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect, thank you so much for replying on this old thread.

0 Kudos
JW_KC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

paluszekd​ i was wondering if you could advise about the required NFS as well. I posted it in a new questions, as this is off topic here.

standalone vCloud Director without NFS (10.2)

0 Kudos
TheLittleOne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I deployed an vCloud Director 10.2  and the NSX-V Manager (without any configuration). 

If I try to create a VM in a VCDs, I have the problem that under the network selection I can not select a network it says none.

Has anybody a good idea what I am missing.

I want to achieve that I can deploy/manage VMs with the vCloud Director and for the moment without NSX.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
LeNNyfromNL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

You need to configure your VLAN backed portgroups as "External Networks" in VCD. Only then you can assign an external network to an Org VDC to be used for VM's.

Daniël Zuthof
Twitter: @DanielZuthof
https://blog.zuthof.nl
Don't forget to mark as solved if your questions are answered.
0 Kudos
TheLittleOne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

thanks for the response, I had created a VLAN backed portgroup as Extenal Network in VCD. But in the orgVDC, if I want to create a Direct Network I did not get any option only a blank white screen. I have installed vCloud Dirctor 10.1.2 and now it works as you described.

Thanks

0 Kudos