VMware Cloud Community
GregRoberts2011
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCD - Provisioned space

vCD Provisioned space -

>> Does someone how if there is a succint explnation of provisioned space as presented in the end user GUI (i am a org admin) with some graphics ?

http://pubs.vmware.com/vcd-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vcd_51_admin_guide.pdf tries to do something but fails, no summary or graphics.

We have a lot of thin provisioned, linked clone VMs and i want to get a feel on how much we can over allocate disk space.

Also in the mix is snapshots, most VMs don't have snapshots but i think the provsioning assumes all VMs will have snapshots....

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Requested = # of GB of virtual disks created by vCloud Director

We don't calculate actual used space for vCD purposes, because everything is based on an allocation system for Storage.  e.g. I've assigned you 1500 GB of disk space you can create and use.

For your over provisioning of Datastores, that's up to you in how far you want to go.  vCloud Director will tell you if you are allocating more than can be created.  Only go as far as you feel is safe, but know that "in theory" you could fill up the Datastores.  You might want to see what monitoring your storage vendor has for monitoring the actual consumption on the Datastores as an additional method.

Storage DRS can help to mitigate a 100% full Datastore, as you can storage vMotion within the Datastore Cluster.

Provisioned = # of GB of virtual disks created under this profile, regardless of the source (vCloud, vSphere, etc, etc, etc)

Used = Actual Used Space on the Datastore

GregRoberts2011
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks EvilOne

My problem is at the moment i have org admin rights so i see "requested / Limit", so i am trying to understand what "requested: means, does it include potential snapshots ?

My i don't have rights to include a picture ..

So here is the skydrive reference http://sdrv.ms/1dFqpMj

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Oh, kk.  I don't think Requested includes snapshots.  The VM will only count itself once against a total.  If your service provider didn't want you to create snapshots, they would have revoked the ability to do so.