VMware Cloud Community
TGIF
Contributor
Contributor

vCD-NI pool

I created a vCD-NI pool with a setting of 40 isolated networks using vlan 30, but could only get one of those 40 (external NAT-routed) networks to work with that pool. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

Is VLAN 30 a real VLAN?

0 Kudos
TGIF
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the VLAN I'm using is a real VLAN. The default VLAN 0 didn't work at all for me.

0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

What is the reason for using VCDNI instaed of vlans in your network ?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

VLAN constraint?

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCDX

-

Soon to be release: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS deepdive (end of November through Amazon.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

0 Kudos
TGIF
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you're right, Duncan. We only have a few VLANs to test with in our lab.

By the way, I was able to get the org. networks to work with the vCD-NI pool. However, on each of thoses networks I can only get the very first virtual machine to communicate.

Don't know what missing?! Since this is an eval, we've got no help/support but looking at this forum.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

did you expose the VLAN to all links? Is the VSE device up and running and working?

Duncan

-

Soon to be release: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS deepdive (end of November through Amazon.com)

manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

TGIF , you say only few vlans to test with ...but do you mean your DC have close to 4000 vlans ?

0 Kudos
TGIF
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I've been busy the last few days on other projects, didn't have time to response to you guys sooner.

Duncan, today I created another vCD-NI pool with another vlan (that I'm sure was configured for all the links). And everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks.

Manythanks, sorry about the confusion but I believe what I meant in my original post was I have set up a vCD-NI pool with 40 isolated networks. I want to see if I can use/share the one vlan specified in that pool for setting up multiple org networks.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

so why not using 40 vlans for 40 ORGs ? are you hitting vlan limits in your DC.

0 Kudos
TGIF
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have 40 vlans, only got 4 to work with, for now.

0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

why do you have only 4 vlans to work with ? kind of funny question i know , but i don't get it sorry , do you have issues with vlans in your company ? like 4000 capacity is coming and networking guys tell you they have only 4 for you ?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe he works for a Network Provider where 80% of the VLANs are already used.... I have seen this at some of my customers as well.

Duncan

-

0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

hmm...if 80% of the vlans are used on a single wide switching domain a simple option is to open a new swiching domain with a router in the middle, more complex solution will be Q-in-Q or MAC-in-MAC standards on regular switches, i don't think VCDNI is your solution for your switching domain for the long run, as there are other entities on the DC that can not use it. btw duncan, as you are working on the new title 'HA in vsphere 4.1 ...' will you have a solution to the VSE device HA capabilities or stateful failover capabilities ?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure what you problem is manythanks, but if someone asks a question and is looking for an answer why are you questioning him on his question. If he wants to use vCD-NI let him...

Anyway, vSE devices can be "protected" by VM Monitoring and of course HA.

Duncan

-

0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

ok, i stop telling that VCDNI is not good, about VSE HA - so if VSE VM fails , how long will a backup one comes up ? what will happen to all the sessions passing through the VSE ?

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

They'll die for the time it takes to come back up.

Just in case you are wondering what happens to all the other 30 or 40 or 50 or 60 vApp workloads running on the same host.... they will die too.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre'

VMware vCloud Architect

twitter.com/mreferre

www.it20.info

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

so all fw/gw out there today (checkpoint , juniper , fortinet , cisco , watchguard etc etc ...) have 'stateful failover' for more then 15 years now - no session dies when one fails, it is created like that because fw/gw are not like servers, many many networks rely on them for connectivity and they can not just die and come up later and bring all applications down with them , i am actualy very surprised you don't realize its crucial.

imagine VSE 'dies' because its host died (ok, all hosts vapplications down too with it) or anything else (software failure can bring only VSE down) then ALL VMs that relies on it (even ones that are deployed in different hosts !) dies with it for a while...

Do you recommend a 'cloud' go production with this ? don't you think cloud at least needs to give same SLA as common DCs from 15 years ago ?

i am so sorry to bash VSE like this , but it is clear thing, what would you say about 'cloud' going production with very low-end open-source VM-Manager?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

As a Moderator of this community I would like to ask you to stop this constant flow of bashing as it seems that it is your primary goal on this forum. We are okay with constructive feedback or even negative feedback if and when it is appropriate, unsollicited replies like this don't belong on this forum.

Thanks,

Duncan

-

Out Now: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS deepdive

0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

np,tried to help out with recommendations for enhancements and caveat fixes,in any case it was a good learning experiance for me to see all VCD capabilities.

0 Kudos