VMware Cloud Community
jbando2000
Contributor
Contributor

vCD - Can't get startup wizard screen

Hello all,

Probably an easy question for some of you, but I've recently installed vCloud Director v1.5 and after the install when trying to gain access to url/ip via my browser and login to run the startup/configuration wizard I just get a blank screen.  Server is RHEL55 with all the latest RHN updates running Java 1.6.0_20.

Database is SQL - communication is good.

I'm using self-signed certificates I generated myself.

If you need any other information, please let me know as I'm running up against a POC deadline.

Best regards and thanks,
Jason

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sjoglekar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Few pointers:

Are you able to ping the cell?

You can check whether the cell is up using the url 'https://<Cell-Hostname>/cloud/server_status'. The page should say "Service is up". If not, then your cell might have issues during start-up.

Please make sure you are using supported browsers.

Is there any authenticated proxy server between client and the cell? I don't think the aurthenticated proxing is supported. The regular non-authenticated ones are ok.

-Sangeeta

0 Kudos
jbando2000
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the quick response.  I tried connecting to the server_status url, but I get the same screen.  It's blank and looks like it's trying to reload every 5 seconds, but getting nothing.  The services appear to start up w/o issue.  If I do a ps -ef | grep vcd I see watchdog & log collection up and running.

The browser are supported and no proxy is in place, but just in case I tried to connect via Firefox from the vCD server itself and get the same issue after accepting the certificate.

I orginally have Java v1.4.2 when I installed vCD, but have since updated to Java v1.6.0 as that is the recommendation of VMware - I can't imagine I would need to re-install vCD because of that.

Output from cell.log.last:

[root@vcloud logs]# cat cell.log.last
Application startup begins: 12/2/11 4:27 AM
Successfully bound network port: 80 on host address: <ip address>
Successfully bound network port: 443 on host address: <ip address>
Application Initialization: 9% complete. Subsystem 'com.vmware.vcloud.common.core' started
Successfully connected to database: jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://<sql ip address>:1433/vcloud;socketTimeout=90;instance=
Current locale "en" verified successfully.
Successfully bound network port: 443 on host address: <mgmt ip address>
Application Initialization: 18% complete. Subsystem 'com.vmware.vcloud.vlsi-core' started
Application initialization detailed status report: 18% complete
    com.vmware.vcloud.backend-core                               Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.ui.configuration                           Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.consoleproxy                               Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.vim-proxy                                  Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.common-util                                Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.ui-vcloud-webapp                           Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.rest-api-handlers                          Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.common.core                                Subsystem Status: [COMPLETE]
    com.vmware.vcloud.vlsi-core                                  Subsystem Status: [COMPLETE]
    com.vmware.vcloud.jax-rs-servlet                             Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.imagetransfer-server                       Subsystem Status: [WAITING]

Application initialization detailed status report: 18% complete
    com.vmware.vcloud.backend-core                               Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.ui.configuration                           Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.consoleproxy                               Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.vim-proxy                                  Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.common-util                                Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.ui-vcloud-webapp                           Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.rest-api-handlers                          Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.common.core                                Subsystem Status: [COMPLETE]
    com.vmware.vcloud.vlsi-core                                  Subsystem Status: [COMPLETE]
    com.vmware.vcloud.jax-rs-servlet                             Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.imagetransfer-server                       Subsystem Status: [WAITING]

Application shutdown event: Beginning
Application shutdown event: Application stop requested. Shutting down.

0 Kudos
sjoglekar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The cell.log shows that your cell is not starting up fully. It dies after 18%. You should look into vcloud-container-debug.log file. The exception stack trace in the log files will give you more information about what might be going wrong.

-Sangeeta

0 Kudos
jbando2000
Contributor
Contributor

The cell.log stated 18% done because I hadn't been able to get to the wizard to complete the setup.

I tracked down the issue to something as simple as the hostname.

Thank you, sjoglekar for pointing out the except stack trace.  I was able to see the name was not being resolved properly.  I changed the hostname of the RHEL system to what it should have been and am now able to bring up the page and finished up the configuration.

Thanks,
Jason

0 Kudos
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

jbando2000 wrote:

The cell.log stated 18% done because I hadn't been able to get to the wizard to complete the setup.

I tracked down the issue to something as simple as the hostname.

Thank you, sjoglekar for pointing out the except stack trace.  I was able to see the name was not being resolved properly.  I changed the hostname of the RHEL system to what it should have been and am now able to bring up the page and finished up the configuration.

Thanks,
Jason

I know it's a year after the fact, but I ran into the same thing on 5.1 where I made a bozo error with the hostname.  Thanks for saving my afternoon hunting down that problem!

Steve

VCAP5-DCD/DCA/CIA, VCA4-DT
0 Kudos