VMware Cloud Community
drew1994yj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCD 5.1 installation question - DNS records

Hey All,

When following the vCD 5.1 installation guide, I got confused about how many DNS records to create for each server.

Does the Console Proxy interface require a DNS record?  And if so, any suggestions on what to name it?

For example, my http interface resolves to something like: mycloud.corporate.com

So in that case, should I also have cloudproxy.corporate.com?

I think it is unlikely that the Console Proxy interface requires a separate DNS record, but I thought I would ask in case I am off the mark.

Thanks,
Drew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It is a good idea to create the console proxy DNS (and later configure it in VCD) otherwise those connections will be pointed at the IP address of the console proxy.  (Not really an issue in a small setup) -- but as you grow you might want to bring in load balancers and that is when it helps.

Here is what I would normally suggest (if IP's and DNS are not limited)

per vCloud Instance

1x HTTP IP + friendly dns  (ie, ourcloud.ourcompany.com)

1x Console IP + friendly dns (ie, console-ourcloud.ourcompany.com)

per vCloud Cell

1x HTTP IP + hostname dns  (ie, cella-ourcloud.ourcompany.com)

1x Console IP + console-hostname dns  (ie, console-cella-ourcloud.ourcompany.com)

You point your users at the fiendly DNS, and if you have more than one cell have it driven by a load balancer.  (If you only have one cell then you do not need to have IP's for the instance you can just use the friendly names a alias records)

Hope that helps.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It is a good idea to create the console proxy DNS (and later configure it in VCD) otherwise those connections will be pointed at the IP address of the console proxy.  (Not really an issue in a small setup) -- but as you grow you might want to bring in load balancers and that is when it helps.

Here is what I would normally suggest (if IP's and DNS are not limited)

per vCloud Instance

1x HTTP IP + friendly dns  (ie, ourcloud.ourcompany.com)

1x Console IP + friendly dns (ie, console-ourcloud.ourcompany.com)

per vCloud Cell

1x HTTP IP + hostname dns  (ie, cella-ourcloud.ourcompany.com)

1x Console IP + console-hostname dns  (ie, console-cella-ourcloud.ourcompany.com)

You point your users at the fiendly DNS, and if you have more than one cell have it driven by a load balancer.  (If you only have one cell then you do not need to have IP's for the instance you can just use the friendly names a alias records)

Hope that helps.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
drew1994yj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

cfor,

Thanks for the detailed answer, I really appreciate it!  The installation guide was not clear enough about how DNS is used for the Console Proxy.  I appreciate the information you posted and the examples!

I especially appreciate your answers about creating the DNS records in a load-balanced scenario.

Andrew

0 Kudos